• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to change the file name of my upgraded LR CC Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Lethlean

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR CC Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Sorry for these basic questions.
I have upgraded from LR 6 to Classic. I now have 2 x shortcuts on my desktop while in my C:\Adobe there are the equivalent 2 master catalogs- master and master-2.
I cannot open the master-2.lrcat from the C drive as it says it is too new a version and would I like to open another catalog. How is that fixed?
I assume it will be OK to delete the LR6 catalog, previews and shortcut? I want to clear some space.
Regards
Mark

In Windows you can rename a shortcut by right clicking on it and selecting "rename" from the pop up menu.

If you want to rename the catalog, for example from "Lightroom Catalog-2" to "Lightroom Catalog LR8" do this. Close lightroom. then in the folder where the catalog is, rename all the folders and files there that start with the old name (e.g., "Lightroom Catalog-2" ) by changing the "Lightroom Catalog-2" part of the name to "Lightroom Catalog LR8" (per my example)

If you try to open an LR6 catalog with LR8 program it will prompt you for permission to make an LR8 copy of that LR6 catalog. In the case where you really do want to go back and see what was in the old LR6 catalog, open it with the LR6 program.

If you try to open an LR8 catalog using the LR6 program it will give you the message in your post and not let you do it.

Dan

In Windows you can rename a shortcut by right clicking on it and selecting "rename" from the pop up menu.

If you want to rename the catalog, for example from "Lightroom Catalog-2" to "Lightroom Catalog LR8" do this. Close lightroom. then in the folder where the catalog is, rename all the folders and files there that start with the old name (e.g., "Lightroom Catalog-2" ) by changing the "Lightroom Catalog-2" part of the name to "Lightroom Catalog LR8" (per my example)

If you try to open an LR6 catalog with LR8 program it will prompt you for permission to make an LR8 copy of that LR6 catalog. In the case where you really do want to go back and see what was in the old LR6 catalog, open it with the LR6 program.

If you try to open an LR8 catalog using the LR6 program it will give you the message in your post and not let you do it.

Dan
Thanks Dan, I did that, but it is trying to open the updated catalog in the LR6 program and hence still get the message described above.
How do i make it open with the LR8 program from the file. It does it from the desktop shortcut
I want to be sure I can open the catalog from the shortcut and the file before I delete the old catalog in LR6
Thanks Mark

The problem then is the your OS (Windows) still thinks LR6 is the most recent. Two ways to get your LR6 catalog opened with LR6 program.

1) with LR closed, in Windows files manager, navigate to the LR6 catalog (file ending in ".lrcat"). right click on it. then select "Open with" and navigate to your LR6 program. It should be here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe

2) Use the Icon for LR6 shortcut icon on your desktop. If it complains about the the catalog not being compatible, select choose another catalog and navigate to the LR6 catalog. I've never tried this but if the prior sentence doesn't do it for you, try holding down the Control key (windows) as you click on the LR6 shortcut icon. This should bring up the "seclect catalog" dialog box and allow you to navigate to the LR6 catalog.

Dan

Right-click on the updated catalogue and choose "Open With...". The popup ought to give you the choice of the old LR and the new. Choose the new and tick the box for always using that program to open catalogue files. From then on, double-clicking on a catalogue will invoke the new Lightroom.

Right-click on the updated catalogue and choose "Open With...". The popup ought to give you the choice of the old LR and the new. Choose the new and tick the box for always using that program to open catalogue files. From then on, double-clicking on a catalogue will invoke the new Lightroom.
Thanks Hal and Dan
Capture.JPG

When I right click on the last file I get the option of opening with LR or the new LR cc Classic and that works- but can't see a box to tick for always using that program to open catalogs. It still seems to always default to LR6 . If I delete the old LR6 catalogs then it may default to LR8?.
Regards Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back