• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to change the drive letter where LR looks for my photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

msilver2

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
At home, I've been keeping all my photos on an external hard drive that my computer knows as the H drive. So the LR catalog looks for my photos on this drive.

I use my laptop computer at work, where i plug into the work network, and then I use the same laptop at home. Because my work network assigns drive letter H to a drive, my new computer, when back home, will not let me assign letter H to the external drive that has my photos.

I'd be happy to give that external drive a different letter, one that doesn't cause a conflict with the letters used at work, but how would LR find my photos? Is there a way to tell LR that all the pathnames in the catalog that begin with H:\ must now be changed, to say X:\ ? Can this be done globally without much trouble?

(In case it matters, my new computer is a windows 10 computer)

Any help is much appreciated

You can also "mount" your drive in a folder. This path will never change, so you can use it to reference your image in LR instaed of a letter.

You can also "mount" your drive in a folder. This path will never change, so you can use it to reference your image in LR instaed of a letter.
Phillippe,

Are you speaking of Windows or Mac OSX? If Windows, it might be helpful to provide a link to a good explanation of how to use a Windows mount process.

Phillippe,

Are you speaking of Windows or Mac OSX? If Windows, it might be helpful to provide a link to a good explanation of how to use a Windows mount process.
MacOS X does not use drive letters. Never has. It uses disk names, so this problem does not occur.

Are you speaking of Windows or Mac OSX?
I'm speaking of Windows. Asigning a folder is done the same way as assigning a letter :
After connecting the external drive, go to the drive management as you would do to assign a letter. Once in drive management :
(My Windows is in french, so my translation might not represent the exact terms in Windows english)
  1. Right click on the drive
  2. Select "Change drive letter and path"
    1571581232921.png

3. In the dialog box, select "Add"
    1571580759817.png

4. In the new dialog box, select "Mount in the following NTFS folder:"
    1571581848195.png

Click on "Browse" to open a browse dialog box

5. Select a folder (and eventually create a new one)
    1571581072211.png

Click "OK" to close the Browse dialog box

6. Click "OK" to assign the selected folder
    1571581129261.png
Your drive is now assigned to this path that will never change.
Note the a drive can be assigned more than one path (a letter end a folder, 2 letters, etc.)
On my system, I've a root folder called "DisqueExterne" in wich I've created a folder for each drive (HD or USB key), and I give to the folder the same name as the drive.
I often delete the letter assignment, so the drive is only accessible thru the folder path.

In LR, I use the folder path, not the letter path (if any)

Attachments

• 1571580902649.png
    1571580902649.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 1571581000660.png
    1571581000660.png
    7 KB · Views: 171
  • 1571581043275.png
    1571581043275.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.