How To Books for Mac Lightroom users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

soul cages

Total newbie here. I bought Lightroom yesterday to use on my iMac. I then hit Chapters bookstore looking for a good 'how to' book - manuals are never clear or thorough enough for me. There was exactly one book on Lightroom with no indication of whether it was 'windows' only or was pertinent for Mac users.

Can anyone advise re books to look for? Is there much difference between using this program on a Mac vs. PC? Generally speaking, the lack of reference to Mac use in any of these books, be it for PS, Elements, LR, is appalling. You'd think, with the heavy use of Macs for all things graphic, there'd be more book resources out there.

Any and all help gratefully accepted.

The program screen itself is the same whether you're running LR in Windows or OSX. AFAIK, nothing changes in the program itself between the OS's.

Both of the LR books I have and use regularly are illustrated with screenshots from a Mac. Scott Kelby's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers" and Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book-the Complete Guide for Photographers" are both great and available at Amazon, Border's or Barnes and Noble.

As a matter of fact, just about all of the photo software books I have are shown on Macs....

Bill

I'm also a big fan of Kelby's Lightroom Book, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers, and most of his Photoshop Books as well. He writes a bit humorously and I like the style, although some people are put off by it. For me, it gets you through otherwise long and detail-oriented chapters.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

-- Joshua

I recommend both the Scott Kelby and the Martin Evening books on Lightroom. They are excellent sources of information. Don't worry about what screen captures the books use when explaining how to do a certain task with Lightroom, however, as the basics of the software is the same for both Windows and Mac. As a matter of fact, I believe in both books the differences are clearly identified, and usually revolve around the keystroke sequence for shortcuts.

My biggest issue w/ Kelby's books is that I'm slightly red/green color blind. Why does this matter? Cause the "red" circles he draws around items in the screen shots are very hard for me (and anyone else w/ this affliction) to see.

What's a color blind guy doing in the field of photography? That's a whole 'nother issue.

I'm also a big fan of Kelby's Lightroom Book, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book for Digital Photographers, and most of his Photoshop Books as well. He writes a bit humorously and I like the style, although some people are put off by it. For me, it gets you through otherwise long and detail-oriented chapters.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

-- Joshua

I would highly recommend both books (Evening and Kelby) as well. If you get these books, don't forget to go to Peachtree and download the update PDF for both books as the books were published based on version 1.'. The updates cover a lot of the improvements that came with v1.1.

Thanks everyone. I was able to locate a copy of Kelby's book and picked it up after work yesterday. It's just was the photo doctor ordered. :mrgreen: My main query was whether the software functioned the same for PC and Mac. I assume that holds true for any Elements books as well. I bought Elements 4 for Mac a few months ago and, apart from doing quick adjustment, and crop, I haven't really delved into it too much. Any recs for books for that is appreciated as well.

I'll find this peachtree site and get the updates. Thanks!

I second, third and fourth any of the Scott Kelby books. And I must say that the screen shots in the books are sometimes helpful, but sometimes they aren't so helpful. Then the text itself is more important. I'm getting to that age when I can't see anything unless it's from an arm length, and then small text on a screen shot is kind of impossible to see.

I also happen to translate many of Scott Kelby's books, so I really have to read them very closely. Even though I haven't translated the book on Lightroom I know fairly much about his books and knows that he do spell things out fairly well in his texts, but the screen shots are there to help you recognize what should be on the screen when you go through his lessons.

I think Photoshop Elements for Mac vs PC is the one big difference - and also the only book by Scott Kelby that's using Windows screen shots (I've translated one of those books, and never again - I don't get along well with Windows). If you use Elements as your photo editor, the books should be fairly good anyway, even if lots of the file handling is different. I think Adobe said they didn't want to implement their "photo browser" in the Mac version of Elements because of Apple's iPhoto (which for me is not an option at all - and that's why I like Lightroom as it works for many things!)

Sorry, off topic here. But yeah... even if you're color blind and don't see the red rings - the screen shots should be helpful enough in Scott Kelby's books, as the texts also spell it out clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back