• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to add keywords from existing hierarchy during import.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Barrett

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
I have a carefully created and maintained Keyword hierarchy and when I import new photos from a card, the import allows one to insert keywords. But these KWs do not get added to my hierarchy, rather they are a new KW on the top most level.

My answer to that has been to keyword after the images are imported. But I am wondering if there is a trick that I am missing so that I could in the import module select existing KWs from my hierarchy.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Dick Barrett

You can use the >, as in Parent > Child.

But to be frank, I wouldn't spend too much time adding keywords in Import. The keywording tools in Library are much better.

I routinely add existing hierarchical keyword during import. Sometimes I use an import preset that contains a metadata preset(keywords being another metadata field). Whenever i have a keyword that can be applied to all of the images in the import but is not in one of my metadata presets, I add it in the keyword field in the import dialog.

To do this simply tap in a few characters of existing keywords and LR will display a list of existing keywords that match from your keyword hierarchy. If you have the same keyword with different parents, LR will offer both with the parent displayed along with the < between it and the child. Note that the above information relates to the Latest version of LR. I believe this was also the case with LR5 but I don't have access to a copy to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back