• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

how long to merge large catalogs into a Master catalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schandler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi all
I have a personal catalog (~15,000images) and and sports catalog (~70,000 images). I created a MASTER catalog and merged the personal catalog into the master. It took around 1-2hrs. I started the merge of the sports catalog into the master and so far it has taken over 12hr to merge only ~1/4 of the catalog. Is that normal for merging large #s of files? I have Dell XPS 8700, 12 gig ram, i7. I am not moving images.
thx
scott

Why not simply merge the personal catalogue into the sports one (or copy of it), and then rename it as the master?

But it does take some time. For one thing, it's going through checking each photo isn't in the main catalogue.

ok, sounds reasonable( I was just following j. Kost, workflow for merging), but after I rename it will I now have 3 catalogs, the personal, sports, and the new renamed catalog or just two catalogs,? after the renaming, will the original sports catalog still exist? I don't want to lose that catalog in case things get fowled up in the merge process. As you can tell, I'm not that familiar with managing catalogs,etc.
thx
scott

Three, if you decide to use a copy of the sports catalogue as the new master. That's the safer way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back