• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

how does sync work with iphone images taken with standard camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

grosloulou

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
classic (cloud)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
hello,
i am installing a new pc and i have activated the "sync".
suddenly a counter increases a lot and i didn't know what it was trying to sync : my iphone or my 66000 images.
Fortunately it stopped at 708 images i see in "all sync images" in LR left panel.

lot of images have a "!" meaning pictures don't exist anymore. this is normal because i manually download iphone images from my iphone in dated folders and i clean my iphone.
how can i clean these ? just unsync ?

a collection seems synced. what will happen if i deselect sync ? are images deleted from somewhere ?

708 images seems a mix between few images taken in dng with LR camera and all others taken with iphone camera.
How is this synchro possible ? it is outside cloud or adobe app. How does LR classic access my iphone ?

on my pc, in users/mobile... folder i see two folders, one 1.7GB with all images (or thumbnails ?) and another with 42MB. normal ? are these original images high resolution ?

there are two folders with same name "imported from iphone8 marc", one with 600 images and the other with recent 24 images. why two folders ? is one coming from the previous pc via the catalog while new one is a recognition from the new pc ? should i try to group both ?

i see all my images have heic format instead of jpg. is it recommended to keep heic or is it better to change that somewhere in iphone 8 settings. i know heic helps for blurring background,... but not sure iphone 8 does that correctly. can we change 708 heic to jpg easily ?

thanks for advises
marc

Hi Marc.
lot of images have a "!" meaning pictures don't exist anymore. this is normal because i manually download iphone images from my iphone in dated folders and i clean my iphone.
how can i clean these ? just unsync ?

You might as well remove them from the catalog if the photo files no longer exist (or exist elsewhere)

a collection seems synced. what will happen if i deselect sync ? are images deleted from somewhere ?
Can you explain that question a little more please?

708 images seems a mix between few images taken in dng with LR camera and all others taken with iphone camera.
How is this synchro possible ? it is outside cloud or adobe app. How does LR classic access my iphone ?

What do you mean by "it is outside cloud or adobe app"?
It sounds like these are photos that were either captured using the LR app or automatically imported from the standard camera, then synced to LR Classic via the cloud

on my pc, in users/mobile... folder i see two folders, one 1.7GB with all images (or thumbnails ?) and another with 42MB. normal ? are these original images high resolution ?

Where are you seeing these folders?

i see all my images have heic format instead of jpg. is it recommended to keep heic or is it better to change that somewhere in iphone 8 settings. i know heic helps for blurring background,... but not sure iphone 8 does that correctly. can we change 708 heic to jpg easily ?
HEIC is fine if you have a computer operating system that supports it (which you do). It's a lossless format, whereas JPEG is lossy, and the files are slightly smaller too.

hello Victoria,
I am not familiar with mobile... just use LR classic so i am discovering it.
The following text is long. I just tried to cover several topics related to the sync i experimented.
So, don't waste too much time on it, I know you are very busy. perhaps you have links covering this photo sync subject.

1. I connected to adobe.com, signed in and i see my photos taken with iphone8 standard camera (heic) and few with LR camera (dng). this means there were a synchro with my iphone of all photos.

2. on my iphone8, in LR parameters i see "stored in cloud : saved 787 pictures" so it seems that LR mobile, as soon as i activate sync, considers ALSO photos taken OUTSIDE LR camera. normal ?

3. on my pc win10, i have no synced any collection and, hidden under LR plate" it says it "synchronizes photos contained in sync collections".
I don't have any collection SYNCED in LR classic. So, this text is not true ! correct ?

4. how can we manage imported photos because i have a huge "all imported photos" with 787 files but not following any structure (flder, dated folder,...). the only way to find a picture of my dog is to browse this folder 787 images. i mean "how do you process such case receiving 787 images at once covering several years" ???

5. why do i have two same names in left panel "imported from iphone8 marc. one has 750 images and other one 27 images. when i take new pictures it can go in one or the other and not only to the 27 one.

6. the files I have found on my pc are located in a folder C:\users\marc\images\lightroom\mobiledownloads.lrdata

7. can i be sure that the 787 photos i see in LR are orginal and not dynamic previews ?

8. I always use win explorer to DCIL of iphone to import photos in dated folders. if i want to remove some of the 787 files, what is the method ? where do i start ? lr classic which is going to delete in cloud AND on my iphone ???

best regards
marc

When you turn on sync in Classic, which you have if it's showing All Synced Photos, then Classic downloads everything it finds in the cloud. If those are originals, which they would be if your phone uploaded them, then yes it's downloaded originals.

Start by reading the Cloud Sync chapter in your Classic book to get an overview of how sync works, as that'll answer most of your questions, and then feel free to come back with more questions that need clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back