• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module How do you use Collection Sets to organize Collections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 6.13, soon upgrading to 7.x
What is your strategy for using Collection Sets?
Any mistakes or bad approaches to avoid?

Phil Burton

For example, i have three main collection sets, one for my private work, one for my work related stuf and one for my workflow items.
Work is devided with collection sets for each client and a then collections and smart collections for each assignment.

It seems you may be overthinking this, Phil.
Collection sets are just like boxes - put stuff into them that needs to be together and put an appropriate label on it to describe its contents...

Tony Jay

Tony, I very well could be overthinking. What I'm asking about is how other people interpret, "What needs to be together." I'm looking for ideas that I can adapt to my interests.

I'm learning how to use a lot of the "interesting" features in both LIBRARY and DEVELOP, plus of course my facial recognition question for BOOK.

Phil

How I use collection sets changes based on the area. For example, I have a collection set for my workflow, in the publish area for my social media stuff I have collection sets by year. For my personal website, it changes each time I publish.....

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Tony, I very well could be overthinking. What I'm asking about is how other people interpret, "What needs to be together." I'm looking for ideas that I can adapt to my interests.

I'm learning how to use a lot of the "interesting" features in both LIBRARY and DEVELOP, plus of course my facial recognition question for BOOK.

Phil
Phil, I deliberately did not give examples since what would or could be relevant to your workflow would not necessarily be anything that I would do...

I came to my present system very simply - it was just an organic process that evolved over time.
Since all collections and collection sets are constructs of the database - and hence virtual - they are easily created, modified, or destroyed as required. No images are ever harmed in the process!
If something works - keep it...
If it doesn't - modify it or delete it...

If you have any particular workflow issues that need addressing then we can discuss them - and perhaps the suggestions and solutions might involve collections and collection sets.

Tony Jay

Phil, I deliberately did not give examples since what would or could be relevant to your workflow would not necessarily be anything that I would do...

I came to my present system very simply - it was just an organic process that evolved over time.
Since all collections and collection sets are constructs of the database - and hence virtual - they are easily created, modified, or destroyed as required. No images are ever harmed in the process!
If something works - keep it...
If it doesn't - modify it or delete it...

If you have any particular workflow issues that need addressing then we can discuss them - and perhaps the suggestions and solutions might involve collections and collection sets.

Tony Jay
Tony,

That all makes sense. Thanks,

Phil

It seems you may be overthinking this, Phil.
Tony — every time I read that sentiment I think, "The converse is equally likely." Over-thinking (if such a thing is possible) for some, is under-thinking for others. And the Internet shows us everyday that our singularity is indisputable.

Any mistakes or bad approaches to avoid?
As Tony helpfully pointed out, the _virtual structure_ you give your database can be elastic and ephemeral. It is easy to change and delete. It can be hard to recreate, however. One suggestion I have is to create a Collection Set called, for instance, "Collection Sets Trash". Put this in a top-level Collection Set called, for instance, "_MyDatabase Admin Collections", move Collection Sets that you think you will no longer use into it, and once a quarter, or as needed, open it up and delete the actually-never-to-ever-be-used-again Collections.

I have always found it useful to conceive of two separate structures through which I interact with my images database: a _storage_ structure, and a _retrieval_ structure. In Lightroom, the storage structure is identical to and mirrored from the storage structure used by the Finder. (The structure shown by The Finder is also "virtual". It has no direct relationship with where or how the data that makes up your files is stored.) There are useful practices for setting up a storage structure to meet your needs, but they are not what you are asking about, which is your _retrieval structure_. Lightroom separates these two structures by giving each its own Panel in the Left Module Panels of the Library Module. (Note that the contents of the currently selected container(s) in the Left Module Panels of the Library Module will show in the Image Display Area and in the Filmstrip, that the Photos in the Image Display Area {Adobe is sloppy with their nomenclature here} and in the Filmstrip can be filtered, and — important — that this set of possibly filtered Photos is what will be used in any of the other Lightroom Modules. The items in the Left Modules Panels of the Library Module, including Collections and Collection Sets, are semi-permanent sub-sets of all the Photos in the currently-loaded Catalog. The filter in the Image Display Area (and in the Filmstrip) lets you create a ad-hoc sub-sets of these semi-permanent sub-sets.) The "Folders" Panel will show what I suggest you use as your storage structure, and "Collections" Panel will show what I suggest you use as your retrieval structure.

What is your strategy for using Collection Sets?

Your question then becomes less one of strategy and more one of intent: what sets of Photos are you going to want to regularly retrieve? I suggest starting by listing these groups of Photos, and organizing them into Collection Sets that make sense to you.

I keep at the top of the Collections Panel in every Catalog I use a Collection Set called "__ThisDatabase Admin" (the prefixed underscores forces it to the top of an alpha-sorted list). There will different Collections here depending on the Catalog, but this is where I keep additional Collection Sets such as "Post-Import Processing" (mostly metadata tasks) and "Global Finders" (Smart Collections such as "Edited today", "Edited in last 24 hours", "Recorded in last week"), and Smart Collections such as "SpecialTempFlag" (via a keyword I use to mark Photos that require attention outside of my normal workflow), "Conflict in Metadata", and anything else that is more about maintaining the database than about processing my work. Below that I have another Collection Set for global Smart Collections that about the Photos and not about administering the database: Picks, Favorites, For Sale — these all depend on your work and your workflow. Below that I keep a Collection Set for Plug-ins' Collections, with a Collection Set for each Plug-in that generates Collections (such as Any Crop, Any Filter, Data Explorer, List View, etc.). Then I have a Collection Set that contains the Smart Collections I use while developing photos recorded during one session (I group by session, and never break that group).

I hope that gives you ideas to work with, from, and against as you build your own retrieval structure.

Tony — every time I read that sentiment I think, "The converse is equally likely." Over-thinking (if such a thing is possible) for some, is under-thinking for others. And the Internet shows us everyday that our singularity is indisputable.

As Tony helpfully pointed out, the _virtual structure_ you give your database can be elastic and ephemeral. It is easy to change and delete. It can be hard to recreate, however. One suggestion I have is to create a Collection Set called, for instance, "Collection Sets Trash". Put this in a top-level Collection Set called, for instance, "_MyDatabase Admin Collections", move Collection Sets that you think you will no longer use into it, and once a quarter, or as needed, open it up and delete the actually-never-to-ever-be-used-again Collections.

I have always found it useful to conceive of two separate structures through which I interact with my images database: a _storage_ structure, and a _retrieval_ structure. In Lightroom, the storage structure is identical to and mirrored from the storage structure used by the Finder. (The structure shown by The Finder is also "virtual". It has no direct relationship with where or how the data that makes up your files is stored.) There are useful practices for setting up a storage structure to meet your needs, but they are not what you are asking about, which is your _retrieval structure_. Lightroom separates these two structures by giving each its own Panel in the Left Module Panels of the Library Module. (Note that the contents of the currently selected container(s) in the Left Module Panels of the Library Module will show in the Image Display Area and in the Filmstrip, that the Photos in the Image Display Area {Adobe is sloppy with their nomenclature here} and in the Filmstrip can be filtered, and — important — that this set of possibly filtered Photos is what will be used in any of the other Lightroom Modules. The items in the Left Modules Panels of the Library Module, including Collections and Collection Sets, are semi-permanent sub-sets of all the Photos in the currently-loaded Catalog. The filter in the Image Display Area (and in the Filmstrip) lets you create a ad-hoc sub-sets of these semi-permanent sub-sets.) The "Folders" Panel will show what I suggest you use as your storage structure, and "Collections" Panel will show what I suggest you use as your retrieval structure.

Your question then becomes less one of strategy and more one of intent: what sets of Photos are you going to want to regularly retrieve? I suggest starting by listing these groups of Photos, and organizing them into Collection Sets that make sense to you.

I keep at the top of the Collections Panel in every Catalog I use a Collection Set called "__ThisDatabase Admin" (the prefixed underscores forces it to the top of an alpha-sorted list). There will different Collections here depending on the Catalog, but this is where I keep additional Collection Sets such as "Post-Import Processing" (mostly metadata tasks) and "Global Finders" (Smart Collections such as "Edited today", "Edited in last 24 hours", "Recorded in last week"), and Smart Collections such as "SpecialTempFlag" (via a keyword I use to mark Photos that require attention outside of my normal workflow), "Conflict in Metadata", and anything else that is more about maintaining the database than about processing my work. Below that I have another Collection Set for global Smart Collections that about the Photos and not about administering the database: Picks, Favorites, For Sale — these all depend on your work and your workflow. Below that I keep a Collection Set for Plug-ins' Collections, with a Collection Set for each Plug-in that generates Collections (such as Any Crop, Any Filter, Data Explorer, List View, etc.). Then I have a Collection Set that contains the Smart Collections I use while developing photos recorded during one session (I group by session, and never break that group).

I hope that gives you ideas to work with, from, and against as you build your own retrieval structure.
Kirby,

Based on the original idea by John Beardsworth, and expanded on by Cle001, I have built up or am still building smart collections for workflow for LIBRARY, DEVELOP, BOOK, etc. I have also developed a series of non-exportable keywords that work with the various smart collections. No problem there.

However, my question was about how people use regular collections and collection sets to organize their libraries. I do a lot of railroad photography, so naturally I have a Collection Set for Rail. I also do travel photography, photos of family and friends, and significant events. I'm still working out how I might organize my photos along these lines, whether they are regular collections and/or smart collections. Smart collections, with keyword-based criteria, are a very powerful tool, at least for me.

Going back to Tony Jay's original comments, I have been known to succumb to, "Paralysis by Analysis."

Phil Burton

Phil,
You've got the right idea about collections: smart is the way to go. The only use for dumb collections that I can think of is to house some ad hoc collection of images that don't have enough in common to make a smart collection possible.

Phil,
You've got the right idea about collections: smart is the way to go. The only use for dumb collections that I can think of is to house some ad hoc collection of images that don't have enough in common to make a smart collection possible.
This feature, smart collections, is becoming more and more important to me as I think beyond just workflow to exactly how I want to organize my images. As I start to process my backlog of digital images going back to 2008, I would like to "do it right" the first time. And, I also have over 30 years of slides to scan. Makes it hard to cobble together a workflow with a separate RAW editor and a separate DAM product.

(As they say in the software business, the "switching cost" is high. Or, Lightroom is a "sticky solution.")

Phil Burton

This feature, smart collections, is becoming more and more important to me as I think beyond just workflow to exactly how I want to organize my images. As I start to process my backlog of digital images going back to 2008, I would like to "do it right" the first time. And, I also have over 30 years of slides to scan. Makes it hard to cobble together a workflow with a separate RAW editor and a separate DAM product.

(As they say in the software business, the "switching cost" is high. Or, Lightroom is a "sticky solution.")

Phil Burton
The key to smart collections is in the metadata acquisition (including keywords) - get that right and one can then play to one's hearts content...

Phil,
The major drawback of smart collections is that they don't support stacks. That's why I use dumb collections much more than I'd like.

The major drawback of smart collections is that they don't support stacks. That's why I use dumb collections much more than I'd like.
This sounds like it should be fixed in a future release.

Are you listening, Adobe?

Phil

This sounds like it should be fixed in a future release.

Are you listening, Adobe?

Phil

There was a feature request on the Adobe sight which is a few years old. I think it referenced version 4, but I am not positive.

Tim

The good and bad thing about Smart Collections is that they are ephemeral. They can be problematic especially when editing metadata. You can make a change and accidentally change what is part of the smart collection.

I will usually start working on a set of images by creating a "project" Collection Set and within that create a "project-all" static collection (I prefer the term static over the term dumb). It is within this new "project-all" collection that I start doing all my initial editing and organization. I will also do all my stacking of panorama, HDR or other sequences here.

I will create as many additional collections or smart collections as I need.
  • I have one or more Smart Collections for 2star, 3star, and/or 4star ratings.
  • Additional static collections that represent separate sub-components of the project that can't be easily represented in another way.
  • Print, Slideshow or Book collections
  • Finally I often have a static collection to be synced with LR Mobile since this can be only done with static collections.
One caveat is that when creating any derivative, the derivative will only be a member of the static collection that was used as your image source when the derivative was created. This applies any time you do an Edit-in.

There is an enhancement request to allow you to select which of the source images collections you want to apply to the derivative when you create it. Lightroom: Ability to selectively add multiple collections from source image when creating derivatives

For a comprehensive look at more ideas for organizing your image catalog take a look at the following by Peter Krough: Organizing Your Photos with Lightroom 5. Although based on LR5 it is still fully applicable to LR Classic.

-louie

Phil,
I use static Collections (HT LouieSherwin, above) regularly for three different kinds of sets of Photos:
- Slideshow photo groups that I don't want to save as Slideshows
- Photos I use as metadata or development settings templates
- When winnowing a set of Photos to "selecteds". This method saves the set of what I think of as "candidate" Photos. When I cull Photos for a project, I put the candidates in a static Collection, and either duplicate and rename it and remove Photos, or create a new "Selecteds" static Collection and copy Photos into it from the "candidates" static Collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back