• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How do I view the Metadata Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreSquare

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I read in the Help file to use the Pop-up menu to view the Metadata. I've seen it before but cannot figure out how to view it again. Can someone please help me see that data menu?

Thanks,
RR

Welcome to the forum.
A bit of clarification in terminology:
The Metadata Panel is the section so named on the right side of the Library Module. It displays views of some of the metadata fields. Different views display more or less of the Metadata stored in the LR catalog. There is a dropDownListBox located in the Metadata panel header that permits you to choose different metadata panel presets that show different fields. Jeffrey Freidl has a “Metadata Viewer” Lightroom Plugin that will allow you to customize a preset view for the metadata panel.
The Metadata Preset dialog is a separate dialog window that allows you to assign preset values to certain of the Metadata fields You can invoke it in the first dropDownListBox located in the Metadata panel itself or from the import dialog or by selecting it from the Library {Metadata} submenu.

Thanks for the reply Cletus. I recall a columnar array format below the module menu (Library, Develop, etc.) and above the grid and Histogram. That is the display that I'm trying to view and I can't remember how to get it to be displayed. Can you remind me how to get that Metadata panel? I want to use it filter the photos in the grid.

Thanks again,
RR

Now, I understand. Your metadata panel is missing, Just right click on any panel header on the right side and put a check mark beside the entry for "Metadata".

Now, I understand. Your metadata panel is missing, Just right click on any panel header on the right side and put a check mark beside the entry for "Metadata".

Cletus, sorry to be so dense but I have tried right clicking everywhere I could and don't see anything about Metadata. I have attached a screenshot of the top of my Lightroom screen. Do you have any other insight you can share. I would really appreciate your help. Very frustrated.

attachment.php

Thanks,
RR

Attachments

• Lr screen shot.jpg
    Lr screen shot.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,456
Last edited by a moderator:
I've attached a short Flash video. Please click on it to see how to enable a panel that has been hidden.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2411826/LRHelp/2014-08-12_1904.swf
Hi Cletus,

No No, I see that, what I looking to find may be different in this version of Lr. I am trying to see the Metadata in a chart with rows and columns something like I show in my attachment that let me filter the photos say by a particular camera or by a date or any number or combination of choices. I don't think I'm dreaming this but for the life of me I seem to remember how to get the chart to drop down so I can choose the data to filter by.

attachment.php

I really appreciate you help and your patience.

RR

Attachments

• Lr screen shot 2.jpg
    Lr screen shot 2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,241
Last edited by a moderator:
We will get to it eventually. It sounds like you are looking for the Filter bar at the top of the center panel. If it is not showing, you can toggle it on with the "\" shortcut key
One of the filter choices is the Metadata filter It has a default of 4 columns. You can change the column headings or add or remove columns
LRScreen73.jpg

PERFECT. I've got it. TY TY TY I'm saving this answer for the next time I forget.

hi am having the same problem. Cant find the metadata on right hand side -please help-have wasted 2 hours and am nearly going mad !!!

Attachments

• Lightroom metadata problem.jpg
    Lightroom metadata problem.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 509
Yes have tried library mode but then it doesnt show up the left hand panel !! see attachment

Attachments

• Metadata query.jpg
    Metadata query.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 338
There are several ways to show/hide panels:

1. Press the Tab key
2. Click on the small arrow-head at the extreme right-hand side of the window.
3. Press F8
4. On the menu bar, Window>Panels>Show Right Module Panels

Wow it worked - the metadata panel appeared as soon as I clicked the tab button !! Thanks so much - I have googled this for 2 hours and nothing came up like your suggestion ! As a total novice I am finding Lightroom very challenging to learn !!

Have you downloaded Victoria's Free Quick Start book? You'll find it very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back