• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How do i prepare files before syncing between two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iancass

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom
Operating System
  1. Windows 8
I currently have my catalog on my external hard drive and i normally just plug it into whatever computer or laptop i am using at the time but sometimes i just want to be able to edit files in bed without having get my external hard drive and plug in. My understanding is that i have to sync files to the cloud to do this but I came across many issues when i tried this process, one it was very slow two i had loads of duplicates three there was missing files etc etc. Is there a way to do all the prep for a simple upload?

I think you have to give some more information for people to help. I think what you are talking about is setting up so you use LR Classic on your "main" computer, select some collections to sync, and then use LR CC to edit the cloud versions which sync back to your main catalog. This is doable. I am not versed enough in the ins and outs, but can you confirm this is what you want?

@iancass, one of the limitations of Lightroom is that the catalog file and the various preview databases have to be on a local drive attached to the computer where you launch the application. This is why the simplest method of multi-computer usage is exactly what you doing with your portable external drive.

It would be possible possible to edit on your laptop without the external hard drive attached, IF you were to make Smart Previews for any image that you wanted to edit AND you copied the entire catalog file and all the previews onto the local hard drive on your laptop. But then when you want to use this on another computer you would have to copy the catalog file back to the external hard drive.

This process or a variation of it is what many do when taking a laptop on travel and the want to bring the catalog or a subset of the catalog with them.

The limitation is the MySql database software that Adobe uses for the catalog. It simply will not work unless the catalog (database) file on a local hard drive. There is a long standing request to update the engine to one that can at lease work on a NAS (network attached storage). Adobe has simply refused this option and instead come out with the CC (Creative Cloud) and the CC applications. The working model for the CC is to store all your master data, images and catalog in the cloud and the CC applications download what they need on demand and upload changes back to the cloud.

Lightroom Classic CC is not a full function member of CC even though it can use certain aspects of the CC. So if you wanted to take advantage of the CC and have full access to your catalog and all your images on any CC enabled device you would have to convert your catalog and images to CC. Some folks have decided to go that route. But make sure that you understand all the ramifications before you go down that route.

As a final note maybe it would just be easier and simpler to just get a good book when you go to bed. ;).

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back