• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How do I delete synced Cloud data on one machine, without removing from LR Cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare Macrae

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.15 Catalina
My Mac's disk is nearly full because I set up Lightroom Classic to sync the originals from Lightroom Cloud storage, and since then, hundreds of gigabytes of RAW images have been synced to Lightroom Cloud from an iPad.

Lightroom Classic on a different machine (PC) is the single source of truth for all our photos.

So I wish to reduce the amount of storage on the Mac taken up by synced data from Lightroom Cloud.

Here's what it looks like:

Lightroom flow to Mac 2.png

So how can I confidently remove all the synced data only on the Mac, and be absolutely confident that all cloud collections and synced files on the PC will be untouched?

(This was my first attempt at understanding how to do this, but I learned it would delete the cloud data too, which I don't want: Where is "Delete All Synced Data" documented for Lightroom Classic )

There shouldn't be any LR cloud downloads in LrC on the Mac. Only one LrC catalog at a time can be the active sync catalog, so if the PC version is your single source of truth then you shouldn't be syncing the Mac LrC catalog. Do you switch syncing between the LrC catalog on each system?

There shouldn't be any LR cloud downloads in LrC on the Mac. Only one LrC catalog at a time can be the active sync catalog, so if the PC version is your single source of truth then you shouldn't be syncing the Mac LrC catalog. Do you switch syncing between the LrC catalog on each system?
Yes I did.

At some point I got a message saying something like "you can only sync one catalog at a time" but I wrongly assumed that this meant "1 catalog per machine".

I just checked and syncing is paused on the Mac, but has been turned on a couple of different times, hence many files downloaded.

I just checked and syncing is paused on the Mac, but has been turned on a couple of different times, hence many files downloaded.
Oh, and I had initially tested and learned about syncing on the Mac first, to avoid accidentally losing any data on the PC.

So which one do you want to be the only synced catalog? And which one is currently the synced catalog?

So which one do you want to be the only synced catalog? And which one is currently the synced catalog?
The PC. And the PC.

All I want to do is reclaim disk space on the Mac that LrC has taken up, via previous syncing.

Assuming to want to physically delete those synced images from the Mac, open the LrC catalog on the Mac, verify that the Sync Status is Paused, and then click on the "All Synced Photographs" special collection in the Catalog panel, then do Cmd+A to select them all. Then click on All Photographs (without losing the selection), then right-click on any one of the selected photos and select "Remove Photos". Check the resulting dialog to confirm that the number of images being deleted matches the number in the All Synced Photographs collection, and if it does select the "Delete from Disk" option. That will delete all the downloaded images from the catalog AND from the local hard drive (you'll need to empty the trash afterwards if you need the disk space back).

Once that has been done, NEVER EVER click on the Start Syncing button in that Mac catalog. In fact, I'd go ever further after the deletion and I would create a new catalog on the Mac, then import the older catalog into it, then I'd delete that older catalog....thus making it impossible to inadvertently resync the older catalog again (because it would possibly sync those deletions back to the cloud).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back