• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How do I best use a WACOM Graphire4 tablet with LR 2.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassiman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have a WACOM Graphire 4 tablet that I have never used. I was wondering if anyone here might have some tips on the best settings to use for retouching using the Graphire 4 tablet... or other things a tablet can accomplish in LR... Is the Graphire 4 even compatible with LR?

Thanks....

It is indeed - I used a Graphire for a long time before changing to the Intuos. You don't have to worry about settings though - it's automatically pressure sensitive when you're using the adjustment brush, affecting the opacity of the stroke, depending how hard you press. Other than that, it behaves like a mouse.

My best tip for getting used to a graphics tablet - put your mouse in a drawer for a couple of weeks and use it for everything - and then once you've got used to it, you can decide what to use the mouse for. I used to swap to a mouse for web browsing, but even that I do with the pen now.

How different is the graphire4 from the Intuos? Do I need to load the WACOM driver set first?

I can't remember whether my Graphire was a 3 or a 4. Main difference, to me, was the feel of it. The Graphire had (has?) a shiny plastic top and a narrow pen, whereas the Intuos has a softer surface with a little more texture and the pen has a soft larger grip. They're just little things, but it feels better when I'm using it all the time. I worked with the Graphires for years though, and they do a good job.

Do I need to load the drivers?

When using a Graphire4 and PS/LR on a Mac (Leopard) is it necessary to load the Graphire drivers?

Yep, it'll work like a mouse without, but then you have to keep picking it up and dragging it like a mouse every time you hit the edge of the screen. Set the tablet area to the full dimensions of the screen (or a proportional area if you're widescreen) and it'll work much better. I think pressure sensitivity relies on the driver too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back