How do I best use a WACOM Graphire4 tablet with LR 2.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassiman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have a WACOM Graphire 4 tablet that I have never used. I was wondering if anyone here might have some tips on the best settings to use for retouching using the Graphire 4 tablet... or other things a tablet can accomplish in LR... Is the Graphire 4 even compatible with LR?

Thanks....

It is indeed - I used a Graphire for a long time before changing to the Intuos. You don't have to worry about settings though - it's automatically pressure sensitive when you're using the adjustment brush, affecting the opacity of the stroke, depending how hard you press. Other than that, it behaves like a mouse.

My best tip for getting used to a graphics tablet - put your mouse in a drawer for a couple of weeks and use it for everything - and then once you've got used to it, you can decide what to use the mouse for. I used to swap to a mouse for web browsing, but even that I do with the pen now.

How different is the graphire4 from the Intuos? Do I need to load the WACOM driver set first?

I can't remember whether my Graphire was a 3 or a 4. Main difference, to me, was the feel of it. The Graphire had (has?) a shiny plastic top and a narrow pen, whereas the Intuos has a softer surface with a little more texture and the pen has a soft larger grip. They're just little things, but it feels better when I'm using it all the time. I worked with the Graphires for years though, and they do a good job.

Do I need to load the drivers?

When using a Graphire4 and PS/LR on a Mac (Leopard) is it necessary to load the Graphire drivers?

Yep, it'll work like a mouse without, but then you have to keep picking it up and dragging it like a mouse every time you hit the edge of the screen. Set the tablet area to the full dimensions of the screen (or a proportional area if you're widescreen) and it'll work much better. I think pressure sensitivity relies on the driver too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back