How determine GPS data when DNG+JPEG labels are on files in Library Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philkvt

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
My Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone records GPS location data in the metadata of each image. When I have taken images simultaneously in raw (DNG) and JPG format, I cannot get the metadata sidebar LR to report the GPS location data. In Library Mode, my LR CC6.9 shows a label of DNG+JPEG for each such image but fails to report the GPS data. But when I relocate/copy the actual JPG file associated with a given DNG file to another folder, LR reports the GPS data in the metadata sidebar.

Is there a way to separate the JPG files in my Catalog that LR has "combined" into a DNG+JPEG label entity so that I can see the GPS location data without having to relocate the "combined" JPG file into another folder?

Your help would be much appreciated because I rely on the GPS data to help me "locate" my images in a geographical sense when traveling.

Thanks, Phil

You could go to Preferences > General tab and check "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos", and then import that folder (set to ADD) to pull in the extra JPEGs. It'll ignore the DNG's it's already imported and add the JPEGs to the catalog so you can see the metadata. You could then even use the Sync-o-matic plug-in to copy the GPS to the related DNG files.

Many thanks for your prompt and effective solution. I had previously tried the "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" tweak of my Preferences configuration but I didn't realize that I had to then Import them as an ADD. Your solution worked quickly and perfectly. I'll check out your suggestion of the Sync-o-matic plugin and give it a try.

As always, I appreciate your very prompt and unerring help. - Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back