• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How can one show / mark / select the reference photo in the film strip at the bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
How can one show / mark / select the reference photo in the film strip at the bottom?
dlfp4ui.png

Can the image name be shown in the reference / active image panel / area?

The flag is shown for the reference or active image only. How could I show that flag for both panels / images?

To select a photo from the film strip as reference, just drag it to the reference place.

To display the file name, hit th "i" key to make the info appear (note that the info displayed can be personalized).

I don't understand your third question. What flag are you refering to?

Thank you very much!

I don't understand your third question. What flag are you refering to?

This one:
dkd5wIY.png

Sorry, by this "How can one show / mark / select the reference photo in the film strip at the bottom?", I meant this: How can I find / mark / select the image shown as a reference in the film strip?

I am still not sure I understand the question either!
I consider a "Reference Photo" to be an example of the result I want to achieve by editing the 'Active' photo.
And the 'Reference Photo' can be any image that you drag up from the Filmstrip into the 'Reference' panel.
Perhaps I might edit an 'Active' raw file (NEF) to look similar to the camera (JPG).
If you want to limit the photos on the Filmstrip you could Flag Pick the selected images (Active and Reference) and set the Filter to show only 'Flagged' photos in the Filmstrip.
2021-10-18 16_37_43-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

I am still not sure I understand the question either!
Very sorry, strange. Suppose the reference image is shown under "Reference". Now you click different virtuel copies in the film strip. The image shown as reference is somewhere in the film strip, how can I go back / show that image shown as Reference in that panel in the film strip? How can I easily find it in the film strip?

If you want to limit the photos on the Filmstrip you could Flag Pick the selected images (Active and Reference) and set the Filter to show only 'Flagged' photos in the Filmstrip.
But that will show all of the flagged images, not only the selected ones, won't it? And I would not like to change the flags. How could I show the e.g. red labeled images?

Suppose the reference image is shown under "Reference". Now you click different virtuel copies in the film strip. The image shown as reference is somewhere in the film strip, how can I go back / show that image shown as Reference in that panel in the film strip? How can I easily find it in the film strip?
Why would you want to find it? It is just the reference, not the active image. You can‘t do anything with the reference image while you are in the develop module, and for good reasons, so why would you want to find/select it in the film strip?

How could I show the e.g. red labeled images?
By setting up a filter for red labelled images.

Why would you want to find it? It is just the reference, not the active image. You can‘t do anything with the reference image while you are in the develop module, and for good reasons, so why would you want to find/select it in the film strip?
To may be edit it or take the next image near by the reference image to use it as the next reference image, etc. In the develop modus you cannot edit the reference image? Sorry, I do not understand, it is a normal image / virtuel copy here.

By setting up a filter for red labelled images.
How could I do that?

Yes, the image you have chosen as reference image is a normal image that can be edited just like any other image. That is not my point. My point is that as long as you are in reference view, you cannot edit the reference image. And if you are not in reference view, then there isn’t really a reference image at all.

Yes, the image you have chosen as reference image is a normal image that can be edited just like any other image. That is not my point. My point is that as long as you are in reference view, you cannot edit the reference image. And if you are not in reference view, then there isn’t really a reference image at all.
Yes, OK, so how can I get back to the image in the film strip, how can I find it when I do not need / want that image as a reference anymore?

In the filter bar above the grid, select Attributes and then click on the red label. You can save this as a filter preset if you like.
So one obviously cannot do that in the develop module. You have to go from there to the Library set / make a filter and then go back to the develop module. That is the fastest / easiest way?

So one obviously cannot do that in the develop module. You have to go from there to the Library set / make a filter and then go back to the develop module. That is the fastest / easiest way?
No, you can do it in the develop module too. The right side of the filmstrip has a small version of the filter bar, allowing you to filter according to number of stars, flags, and color labels. Click on the word Filter to collapse or expand it.

To complete Johan's comment, while in the develop module you can set the color label to an image in the film-strip. Right click on the image in the film-strip and in the conxtual menu, select "Set color label".

No, you can do it in the develop module too. The right side of the filmstrip has a small version of the filter bar, allowing you to filter according to number of stars, flags, and color labels. Click on the word Filter to collapse or expand it.
Ah, sorry, that one, it already was shown but I missed it, unbelievable, thank you.

To complete Johan's comment, while in the develop module you can set the color label to an image in the film-strip. Right click on the image in the film-strip and in the conxtual menu, select "Set color label".
OK, thank you, or pressing the t key to show the toolbar does the same there, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back