• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How can one move images from Lightroom to a folder outside of Lightroom / a folder not available in Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
How can one move images from Lightroom to a folder outside of Lightroom / a folder not available in Lightroom? The images are not needed in Lightroom, shall not be displayed there.

I have to add the keywords hier:
iPK5f7x.png

Is that right? With a space between them?

OK, a comma without space.

Ah great, many thanks for the links! Very nice!

Good idea, yes, that's better, thank you!

And when you finish with keywords, or even finish a test group - take a look at what collections can do and how to organize them.
Collections

Yes, I will do so, many thanks, Jim!

If photos are important enough to keep for what ever reason, then you need to manage them. Lightroom is your image data manager. It should be your only one. If you are wanting to find these images to share (again for what ever reason) then they are most easily found using an image management tool. As others have suggested keywords and collections are the way to organize your images. Any time you find yourself using folders and visually scanning image by image to identify the one you are looking for you are not using your image manager most efficiently. Create a collection called "Not worth Keeping" or "FYI" and assign these photos to it. You move photos to different disk drives for space management reasons and no other purpose. Filesystem folders are not an efficient method to organize images. This is why Lightroom was invented in the first place to organize and manage your image inventory.

Yes, indeed, I have to get used to move images only within Lightroom so it can keep track of them. Above all to manage the photos on other drives, so I always will have a preview even if the drives are not connected (if I see it right) and one even could manage, organzize them (add keywords, collections and such), even if the drive is not connected.. At the moment I generally only have those photos in Lightroom which I want to edit (for a gallery). So I guess, I indeed should import all of my photos without any exception , yes, and manage them with keywords, collections, etc.

So I guess, I indeed should import all of my photos without any exception , yes, and manage them with keywords, collections, etc.
Yes, I have not found a more efficient image manager. The non-destructive editing capability of LR is sometimes are inadequate and requires a more robust approach from an external editor. I could possibly be persuaded to switch from LR if there were a better data asset manager. AFAIK, no one has attempted to improve upon the DAM capabilities of LR.

I have scattered all over the drive images and over external drives. Should Lightroom scan the entire drive or should I add the folders containing images manually, that would be a big effort, I guess?

I could possibly be persuaded to switch from LR if there were a better data asset manager. AFAIK, no one has attempted to improve upon the DAM capabilities of LR.
Besides of the DAM capabilities are there capabilities of Lightroom being less good? Apart from the editing possibilities only a pixel editor can do?
I have seen some tests (do not know how reliable such is) on the Internet showing Lightroom is the best in its category. May be RawTherapee is not that bad as well.

I have scattered all over the drive images and over external drives. Should Lightroom scan the entire drive or should I add the folders containing images manually, that would be a big effort, I guess?
If it were me, I would let LR scan the whole drive (or each drive in turn) assuming that you do not have an upper level folder like Pictures that has all the folders in it. If you did, then you could just scan Pictures.

Besides of the DAM capabilities are there capabilities of Lightroom being less good? Apart from the editing possibilities only a pixel editor can do?
I have seen some tests (do not know how reliable such is) on the Internet showing Lightroom is the best in its category. May be RawTherapee is not that bad as well.
Now you are entering into areas where there are lots and lots of opinions.
In my opinion, I think that LR is the best and most rounded of all the image editors; and I have tried most of them.
Is LR best at everything - no. Some areas are good, but not necessarily the best. For instance, I use Topaz Detail to do my creative sharpening. Some people prefer the noise reduction of other packages.

But when you combine LR Classic with Photoshop - I don't think that you can beat it.

OK, scanning the entire drive, no single picture folder.

QUOTE]Now you are entering into areas where there are lots and lots of opinions. [/QUOTE]
Whoops, I shouldn't have done that, the color spaces already are enough for me.

In my opinion, I think that LR is the best and most rounded of all the image editors; and I have tried most of them.
Is LR best at everything - no. Some areas are good, but not necessarily the best. For instance, I use Topaz Detail to do my creative sharpening. Some people prefer the noise reduction of other packages.
Sounds very laborious to find one's own workflow, much testing, trieing, which part of a program to use for which edits and the order those processes should be done, e.g. sharpening at the end, at the beginning or somewhere in the middle and such.

But when you combine LR Classic with Photoshop - I don't think that you can beat it.
Yes, I can imagine that.

OK, that's the way how it works with creating folders with names of the keywords, so Lightroom cannot do that automatically.
No, Lightroom doesn't do that because moving images from folder to folder is quite limiting and inefficient. Lightroom used Collections instead - which are virtual folders that provide for much greater flexibility.

Your computer only allows a file to be in one folder. If you take a photo of your Mum and her dog in Chicago does it go in the "Mum" folder, the "Chicago" folder or the "Animals" folder? If you put it in the Mum folder then you won't see the dog if you look in the Animals folder because the file isn't there.

Lightroom allows one file to appear in multiple Collections at the same time. Create a Smart Collection for Mum, one for Chicago and one for Animals. Add the relevant keywords to the image and voila... it appears in all three collections.

Lightroom allows one file to appear in multiple Collections at the same time. Create a Smart Collection for Mum, one for Chicago and one for Animals. Add the relevant keywords to the image and voila... it appears in all three collections.
Yes, I understand,, collections can be understood as a (little) database finding the same image in different ways by using different (many) keywords, flags, starts, etc. So no picture has to be moved anymore (and shouldn't).

So start keywording. It won't be as bad as you think.

I would agree but it does depend. If you have 1000 photos taken at a football match then it would be pretty straight forward. If you have random photos of many things taken in different places then it involves a lot more work.

If you have random photos of many things taken in different places then it involves a lot more work.
For this I use the Keyword List panel. It shows all of the keywords in your catalog with a checkbox to the left. In grid view, you can select an image or group of images and check the box next to the appropriate keyword to assign that keyword to the selected images.
Sometimes a keyword might apply to ALMOST all of the images but a few. In that case it is easier to assign the keyword to ALL of the images then uncheck the keyword box for the few selected images to unassigned that keyword.

So already when importing the images to Lightroom it automatically gathers all of the keywords and add them to the keyword list panel.

Can Lightroom rename more than one image / file name with a keyword or more or add a keyword to the file name of the image? And vice versa, can Lightroom add the file name or a part of it to the keyword list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back