• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

How can one get and keep the order of the virtuel copies by the date / time they were created?

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
How can one get and keep the order of the virtuel copies by the date / time they were created?

The first VC is right next to the original, the one after the next on the right of the next one, etc.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Here?

Does not seem to help.

Califdan

Lightroom Experience
Power User
You can type the date into the "Copy" field in the Metadata panel and set your View Options to show you the Copy name as well as the image file name. But as far as I know, you can't sort by copy name, but at least then you can see it and then drag the images into copy name order which will reset the grid sort to "custom".

I have encountered the same problem of keeping VC's in order, especially when there are also Tiff's or PSD's from Photoshop edits mixed in as well as non linear situations such as V1 -> V2 -> V3 -> V4, but then V5 was derived from V3 (not V4), etc. What I do is this. Any image without a "copy name" is by default V1 (original) and I just leave it as is. Then when I make each derivative such as a VC or Photoshoped version I assign a version number and which version it was derived from. So, for example"

1) Original image (possibly edited in LR)
File name = "IMG_1234.CR2"
Copy name = <blank>.

2) First VC from possibly edited original. This VC is a version that that I cropped
Copy name = "V2=V1 + tight crop"

3) 2nd VC which is B&W rendition version of cropped VC
File name =-"IMG_1234.CR2"
Copy name = "V3=V2 + B&W"

4) Sent 2nd VC to PS where I cloned out tourist
File name = "IMG_1234-V4.PSD" (renamed in LR after closing in PS)
Copy name = "V4=V3 + clone out tourist"

5) Took V3 (version originally sent to PS that still has tourist) and re-cropped into square format
Copy name = "V5=V3+Square".

6) Made VC from PS edited version - the one after tourist-ectomy - and added split toning in LR
File Nmae = "IMG_1234-V4.PSD"
Copy name = "V6=V4 + split tone"

As you can see, each image (except the original) has a copy name showing the current iteration, or version, number and which version was its immediate predecessor. And in the case where a new physical file is generated from an external editor such as Photoshop or Silver Effects, the file returned from that editor also gets the version number in place of the default word "-edit". It's not overly elegant but at least I can re-trace the pedigree of the image. It sure would be nice to be able to add notes to the History panel for such info in addition, but this info (file name and copy name) can be seen on the image canvas in the Grid.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Many thanks!

It seems to take a little effort, a little manually renaming of the copy names. To show the copy names of the VCs is a good idea, so one quickly can identify the VCs. I will try it out.

The best woul be if the complete history would be copied to the VC when creating a new one.

Many thanks again.