HOW CAN I USE PHOTOS ON MY EHD ON BOTH MY LT AND DT USING PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjc

i am using a pc with vista...i have a LT and a DT and all my photos are on my ehd...i use lightroom to bring my photos into the computer...then i adjust when i have time...at least once a week i am away and do this from my LT loading all the photos to my EHD that is shared with the Dt ...when i am home i then hook the ehd into the dt....i am totally confused how to use this system and not have to go import my photos again.....

i have been told to do an export of the catalog each time i am about to disconnect the ehd and then when i hook it to the lt import the catalog.... i am trying this with my 2'1' photos and it is taking forever... i dont think this will work...any ways to do what i want to do would be much appreciated?

i am a bit confused about the catalog thing and if i should be backing up to somewhere...like on my ehd??? and what to do

so thanks for easy directions for a novice grandmother who takes lots of photos....

well LR is still doing its thing.... i will check back with you when its done and then am i good to go?

should we do any other "clean up" issues as i mentioned previously?

[quote author=bjc link=topic=9489.msg647'8#msg647'8 date=1271429393]
well LR is still doing its thing.... i will check back with you when its done and then am i good to go?[/quote]

Yes. We will make some final checks just to proove to yourself that the procedure was right. ;)

should we do any other "clean up" issues as i mentioned previously?
We have something else to do before the cleanup then have to wait a couple days then make some cleanup that you do not expect.

Only after we will look at the cleanup you talked about.

Remember those you told us were missing?
1: Can you now find them in the catalog on both the DT AND the LT?
2: Do they have all the adjustments you did on the DT before the mess?

I know that the answer to #2 will be yes if you answer yes to #1...
This is just for you to see it all worked like wonder. 8)

at the risk of sounding dum....but who cares! i guess you are saying to open the ehd with the lt and the dt and compare that everything that was missing is now there???

I say that from now on, either opening Lightroom from your DT or from your LT, everything will be the same and that those missing photos will be there seen from whatever computer you use.

So, CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE DONE!
:fi_lone_ranger:

just hooked ehd to the lt and this is what i have

on ehd N the LT says there are 22,153 photos ...same number that when ehd is hooked to DT it says....i guess this is GOOD!

i am hooked to LT with ehd and also can see that it says all photographs 22295 ( didnt check the number when hooked to DT...should i? is that important....not to me as i only use the ehd for my photos)

it also says on LT on c drive 142 photos.....

all my recent 2'1' folders and adjusments are there...

so now what????

forgot to add in previous post... just for the record ...i see that when i go to the c drive and drop down...all the folders are with the question mark... so i guess i moved them ( prob to the N drive or out of LR )

going out for a little while very soon....so will check back in when i get back to see if i am now good to go and should just get on with my life...lol

but i do ( of course ) have a few questions:

1. just so i can make sure i keep with this catalog and dont mess it up.... can you remind me where the correct catalog is located and what it is called???

2. do i have any additional cataloges that i can delete so as not to confuse myself....i only need one catalog as far as i am concerned

3. what do i do about the backups that comes on when you open up LR ? and do i do it from both the LT and Dt? or doesnt matter?

4. is there any point to getting rid of folders that i see in LR if I am not using those folders now? they will remain on my ehd but do they need to be in LR? does it slow down LR or the computer having them there? or should i just leave well enough alone and not to worry?

thanks and "speak" with you later

Looks fine. Now we just have to make a simple fix for the photos on C.

Are those ? marks on the LT? For its C drive containing 142 photos?

If this is so, then close the LT and hook the EHD to the DT and start Lightroom from there. Now, did the ? marks disappeared?

P.S.: Back in 45 minutes...

Sorry I was out at the store... Now on WiFi at the brewery :D

OK. Those photos were previously at:
C:/Users/Bobbie/Pictures/2''9-'4-24 gracie mews sign/

Do you think you moved them from there in the past?
Do you recognize any of those 142 as being elsewhere under N: in the catalog?
Hint: Try looking your 2''9-'4 photos under N:

If you find them at another location on N: without ? marks, then just remove those photos that are under C: with the question mark from the catalog (Select those ? under C:, press Delete then "Remove from catalog" button as you did before.

If you don't find under N: in the catalog, you will have to look around by yourself to find them and re-import. But doing the re-import in case you find them elsewhere, make sure there is a checkmark in front of "Don't re-import suspected duplicates" and go. If they are already in your catalog at a place you didn't notice, it will tell you that they already in the catalog. Then use a search or filter in Library to reach those dated around 2''9-'4.

i like being at FINALLY AND ENJOY ....

i still have those other questions i was wondering about...shall we resume next week so you can enjoy your brew?

what are u having? we have a friend who has a brewery...

Now on the english (UK) style "Extra Bitter"...
:slosh

A few steps before the weekend to save us a couple days:

Your backup strategy is very weak at this time as both your backups and your catalog are on the same drive. What if the EHD breaks or is being stolen!

You now have to change the backup location of Lightroom on both the DT and the LT.

Instructions in next post in a minute (or some)...

That counts for sure! But twice in my LAN Admin life it happened that for some reason the backup was unusable and each time I was glad having a second backup to hold the whole Company's data! Job saved! ;)

OK. I will save you the extra stetps. Just make sure that when Lightroom is asking for backup, both computers at pointing to the very same place!

Now happily continue "Lightrooming" and wait until you create 2 or 3 more backups. This may bring us to sometime next week.

Remember that screenshot where you shown us the N:/.../Backup with so many folders to choose from when we were looking for the good one for the "Import from Catalog" function? All those a slowly eating up your EHD!

As you are now on the good track, let those new 2 or 3 backups pile up there and next week, delete all those outdated folders just keeping some 2 or 3 versions back. You will have to check those piling up routinely to revove the superflous outdated ones as Lightroom do not do the "brooming" for you.

I am generally out of the LRForums in the weekend but will be back on monday or may check in in the weekend a little.

:beer

so when it opens each time should i do the backup??? or i think you said you can show me how to do it once a week?

How is your backup schedule set? Daily, Eachtime Lightroom start? Weekly? Monthly?

If you configured none, the the default is Weekly. But looking at your screenshot of all those backups, it seem that you are set to Daily as some dates are very close and if there are two folders on the same date, you are set to "Each time Lightroom opens".

If you open Lightroom just to look at/search for images to export or make "Impromptu Slideshows" or things that do not change the data, then you can skip the backup when it is asking. But now that you are all set, at least do the first one offered. Then also next time you changed the data.

I am on Linux at the moment and can't access Lightroom but I think that when Lightroom is asking for the backup, you can change the schedule there.

hope u had nice weekend.... LR catalog is working well...i was with the LT and the ehd for a few days and back on the Dt...all seems well..thank you so much

what do you suggest now to clean things up and get things in better order...i think i posted some screen shots and some questions...i will be in and out today but thought if you had time and wanted to get started i would post today... if you want we can wait till next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back