• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How can I select non-starred files for deletion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamdbonney

Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I want to delete unimportant image files, but I cannot figure out a way to select just images that don't have stars, which I've used to rate images. I need to make room on my drives. Please help.

From the "All Photographs" special collection in the Catalog panel, Select all of the images that have one or more stars using the filter bar. Once selected, use the Menu item {Edit}{Invert Selection} to change the selection to the images without stars.

You can also just use the ratings filter...set it to "equal to" or "less than or equal to" and uncheck all the stars.

FYI, and to take another approach to methods for culling photos-

If you were to use Pick Flags, instead of Star Rating, there is a Menu command that can be very useful-
"Menu: Library > Refine Photos" [Ctrl+Alt+R]
This command 'demotes' the FLAG rating status of photos that are presently being seen in Grid view.
-Photos with a 'Pick' flag are demoted to 'Unflagged'. Flagged > Unflagged.
-Photos without a flag 'Unflagged' are demoted to 'Rejected'. Unflagged > Rejected.
Then you can delete (cull) all the 'Rejected' flagged photos with the one command [Ctrl+Delete].

So the method is- View a folder or collection of photos, Add a [P] Pick flag to all the photos you want to keep (faster with auto advance), [Refine Photos], [Ctrl+Delete].

So the method is- View a folder or collection of photos, Add a [P] Pick flag to all the photos you want to keep (faster with auto advance), [Refine Photos], [Ctrl+Delete].
I usually just start out with everything unflagged and add a Reject flag to photos I don't want to keep - No demotion needed ;) And I have a "Hide rejected" filter preset that makes the culling process even easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back