How Can I Recover My Presets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phils

I had a number of crashes in a row last week in LR 2.2 in Vista32. An image would invert during a slideshow and crash or I'd run out of memory during an export of 1' files to JPEG when no other apps were running in a Quad Core HP machine with 3GB of RAM on Vista Home Premium. So I called Adobe and they suggested my preferences files were probably corrupt and to rename them and restart, and if that didn't work to follow a URL for general troubleshooting.

I did as they suggested [just the prefs renamed] and all has been quite stable since then- good news 8). BUT, after reinstalling and re-upgrading all my plug-ins and then re-creating all my Import presets, I went to print and was really disappointed to see that my many, many paper, size and signature/border-specific printing presets are gone too :shock:. I wish they had made note of how to restore them- I grasp that I don't want to go get the old prefs files, that's what I was blowing away, but don;t these live anywhere else?

Thanks for any help- it's really just the Printing presets I am after now.

Phil

You should normally find them here on XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Print Templates\User Templates
On Vista I think it is Users rather than Documents and Settings. Maybe if you look under your renamed preferences... You can also find/search for Print Templates. And be sure you are showing hidden files in Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> Display tab.

Recovering Presets and where they are located

I spoke to Adobe and they told me that when you delete a preferences file as they told me to do, that you lose all your printing presets. Turns out the preference file is stored here for me:

c:\[user name]\appdata\roaming\adobe\lightroom\preferences

While there is a separate folder called Print Templates, that apparently only contains standard presets.

I asked if I could temporarily copy or rename my new and working preferences file and then rename the corrupt file I had previously renamed with OLD before the extension. The support tech agreed this should work and allow me to Right-Click the User Templates group and do "Show in Explorer" and copy what I need from those folders, then shut down LR, and rename the good prefs file back to what it was and restart- then right click and import the presets.

I do so wish they had mentioned backing these up before just telling me to rename the old prefs file- that would have been easier.

Any further input appreciated.

Phil

I have a slightly different path to stored presets on my Vista OS:

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\lightroom

Not much different, but perhaps just enough if one is searching from the root down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back