• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How can I mark a Black and White image with a coloured mark ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinjouhar

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Here is the use case..... I have scanned a lot of 35mm sheets of negatives and divided them up with John Ellis’ excellent Any Crop plug-in. Now I have scanned a load of Medium Format sheets with various numbers of negatives on each page, but I don’t want to divide these....what I want to do is mark them the old-fashioned way with a red line, or a box or a spot....I want to do this entirely in LR..... Can I get the adjustment brush to do colour in the way I have described ? It seems to only want to do BW.... Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Why not use the colour Labeling already in Lightroom ~ ( Set Colour Label in Photo Menu ) Or even create collections which can also be colour labeled or even rename files to contain the word for the colour ~ using the brush seems a hard way to try to do it

Why not use the colour Labeling already in Lightroom ~ ( Set Colour Label in Photo Menu ) Or even create collections which can also be colour labeled or even rename files to contain the word for the colour ~ using the brush seems a hard way to try to do it

Thanks for your reply, but I think maybe I haven’t explained it well enough.....Each file looks like a contact sheet, with up to 12 individual images on each ..... I want to be able to mark one or more of the images on each “sheet” with a red mark....

Why don't you use the adjustment brush? There's a little colour patch which can be any colour you want, and it does work on B&W:

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 23.27.46.png

Why don't you use the adjustment brush? There's a little colour patch which can be any colour you want, and it does work on B&W:

View attachment 14615
Thanks very much John... I tried that and it wasn’t working for me.... but that is exactly what I want to do...!! obviously user error..... my images have had tone curve swapped round to make the negatives into positives....would that be a reason for not getting any colour ? If not, that’s good news and I will no doubt be able to figure it out, if I play around a bit more.

Thanks very much John... I tried that and it wasn’t working for me.... but that is exactly what I want to do...!! obviously user error..... my images have had tone curve swapped round to make the negatives into positives....would that be a reason for not getting any colour ? If not, that’s good news and I will no doubt be able to figure it out, if I play around a bit more.
John's idea is an excellent one, and I can confirm it works on ones where they were negatives, converted to positives then b+w. The one thing in that circumstance is that, like most controls, the colors are reversed too (see example from my test)
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 08.53.33.png

t works on ones where they were negatives, converted to positives then b+w.
Don't you mean "converted to color"? An B&W images is various tones of gray and no color. you can not add color until you convert the image to a color image (the gray tones would still remain but LR could then paint color into the image.

Don't you mean "converted to color"? An B&W images is various tones of gray and no color. you can not add color until you convert the image to a color image (the gray tones would still remain but LR could then paint color into the image.
No, I don't. So, to precise on the steps I took:

- imported a negative image into Lr (which was a photo of a color negative)
- converted this to a positive (with the Tone Curve swapped to replicate the OP)
- then converted to b+w

After this applied a color splash as per John's suggestion.

No, I don't. So, to precise on the steps I took:

- imported a negative image into Lr (which was a photo of a color negative)
- converted this to a positive (with the Tone Curve swapped to replicate the OP)
- then converted to b+w

After this applied a color splash as per John's suggestion.

OK... maybe this is why I can’t get it to work...... I am importing a negative image, which is a photo of a black and white negative..... when I import it I am applying a preset which I made myself which flips the tone curve..... so what appears in my Library is a black and white positive image.... when I try to use the adjustment brush, I can’t get it to paint anything in colour....

From what Cletus says, I should not expect to be able to paint colour onto a black and white image..... thats fair enough - I think I understand now why I haven’t been able to get it to work.

OK... maybe this is why I can’t get it to work...... I am importing a negative image, which is a photo of a black and white negative..... when I import it I am applying a preset which I made myself which flips the tone curve..... so what appears in my Library is a black and white positive image.... when I try to use the adjustment brush, I can’t get it to paint anything in colour....
No - I just did this on a scan of a b+w negative, that I then swapped the tone curve on. Then used the brush to splash the color (attached)
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 18.08.21.png

Ok - I have now got it working satisfactorily.... I had the “Treatment” set to Black and White.... I have been applying the BW02 preset at the same time that I flip the tone curve..... I changed the Treatment to “Color”, and made the images look like BW by reducing blue Saturation.... and NOW I can get the colour from the adjustment brush.... I am all set..... thank you very much indeed for your inputs which have put me on the right path...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back