• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How can I create borders/frames for my photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalite

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR v5.6
Operating System
I am using LR v5.6 and while I realize there are some software that allows one to create borders/frames, most are using Photoshop CC or the like. I also use Elements 10 (seldom), so probably no go. My computer system is a desktop Mac on OS Sierra.

Thanks. Years ago I used PSE to create a frame. But in the intervening years I have used LR and so forgot this possibility. Thanks very much.

The LR/Mogrify2 plug-in for Lightroom can apply borders/frames (and more) during export from Lightroom.

Depends on what you're trying to do. In Print Module>Page you can specify "page background color." That will give you a nice "border" around the image, in any color you choose. I often use a shade of gray. Hope this helps.

I am trying to give it a white frame effect (sort of like matte paper in a frame). Not print a whole 8 x 11 sheet

So make the page background color "white," choose the size of printing paper under Page Setup, and then under Layout adjust the cell size to produce the dimensions of the "white frame effect" you want. Are you seeking something like this? (This is a borderless print, so the paper is much larger than the image: there is a great deal of white surrounding the image, mimicking an overlaid mat.)

Ford Trimotor.jpg

And here is the result by designing and using an Identity Plate Graphic that is the same size Ratio as the print (paper)-
The Identity Plate in this example is a photo of a frame & matte with the centre cut-out transparent, for which only a .PNG type file is suitable.
ScreenShot021.jpg

My resulting .JPG from the Print module- (a really quick job, so would need more care!)
ScreenShot023.jpg

Sorry folks but none of the above works. Richard, which version of LR are you using? I have LR v5.6
I-See-Light: it would help if you could use a step-by-step process to show how you achieved the frame.

"step-by-step process to show how you achieved the frame. "
Here goes- prepare for a long list :)

Steps for “Frames”
1. In PHOTOSHOP (see Problems ** below) Create a frame yourself (Brush, Shapes, etc) or edit any image of a frame. Only limited by your imagination!
2. Enable the Background layer (for editing) by clicking on the layer padlock
3.jpg
3. Use any Selection tool to select a rectangle, oval, or freehand, to delete the area you want transparent.
4. Save the file in .PNG file-type.
1.jpg 2.jpg

5. In LIGHTROOM
6. Open the Identity Plate editor- Menu: Edit > Identity Plate Setup…
7. Use a “Graphical Identity Plate” option.
8. Locate the PNG file you saved from Photoshop
4.jpg
9. Ignore any warnings about ‘Size’
5.jpg
10. Save the Identity plate with a suitable name. (Drop-down menu in ‘Custom’ )

6.jpg

11. In LIGHTROOM Select an image to ‘open’ in the LR Print module
7.jpg
12. Check the [Identity Plate] option.
13. Click the ‘Drop-down menu to select the .PNG ‘frame’ file
14. Use the corner ‘handles’ of the ID Plate to re-adjust its size to fit the full print image.
8.jpg
15. Use the LR Margin sliders to position the image at best behind the ID Plate.
9.jpg
16. Print.

Problems:
*The Aspect Ratio and orientation of the ID Plate image is fixed- It can only be re-sized. So you may need to make several versions of PNG images to suit ‘Landscape’ or ‘Portrait’ images, and also different Aspect Ratio images such as ‘Square’ or ‘Panoramic’ type images.
**It makes it far easier if the PNG ID Plate image, and the Photo you want to print, both have the same Aspect Ratio, and pixel dimensions.

Dalite, I'm using 6.14, but I'm sure your version will work for this. What we'll do is make a wide white border around the image, to mimic a matted print. It's dirt simple.
In Print Module, first select the paper size, under Page Setup (lower left on your screen). Let's choose 8x10, and then click OK. Now click on Page in the right hand pane. Click the Page Background Color box to turn it on, and then click on the small rectangular box to the right of the checked box. Set the color to white.
Now click on Layout. You'll see your image superimposed on the paper size you chose. At the bottom of the Layout panel you can adjust Cell Size, both width and height. As you slide these back and forth the size of image on the 8x10 page increases or decreases. The smaller the size of the image, the larger
the white border becomes--the simulated white mat. So set the image size to achieve the size of white border you want--and make your print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back