• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Hot mess of Lightroom catalogs and photo folders

Laurie McConnell

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi - I'm new here.

Up until about 18 months ago I had a high-performing, reliable Lightroom catalog on the Adobe Creative Cloud version. I had about 8 or 9 years of photos in the catalog, all keyworded and rated/starred.

I hit the backup button fairly regularly and for a while had automatically backup on close. I updated to the new Lightroom version and somehow ended up with Lightroom 4 and 5 on my 2010 iMac 27.

Then the program refused to open saying catalog was corrupted.

The only working catalog I could find was from about 6 years ago. Of course most of my images are missing from it and I lost 6 years of keywords and ratings when I reverted back.

Now I have images on an external drive, images in a /Pictures/ folder on my main 1TB drive, and I have no idea what to do to get a working, up to date catalog.

I've looked at the instructions for moving folders and am totally intimidated as I have folders of images everywhere, and there may be duplicate file names with different photos due to uploading so many images over time from a couple of different cameras.

What's the best route? Pore through the folders looking at dates and re-organize them? Create a new catalog and re-import, losing all my previous lightroom work but achieving a single folder structure?

Laurie

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
...I hit the backup button fairly regularly and for a while had automatically backup on close. I updated to the new Lightroom version and somehow ended up with Lightroom 4 and 5 on my 2010 iMac 27.
What's the best route?
Welcome to the forum. If you have a CC Subscription, then you should be running LRCC2015.6 If you are not opening LRCC, then you need to find it and make sure that it is the default app to open. Each catalog version has a different structure. So an LRCC2015 catalog is going to be incompatible with the LR5 app and an LR5 catalog will be incompatible with LR4 app.

So once you open the LRCC app, things should get back to normal or to a point where we can understand what needs to be done next.

The Adobe Creative Cloud App Manager should be running. On the menu bar click on the Adobe Creative Cloud App Manager icon and then when it opens, click on the app tab. There you should see your installed apps including LRCC with an {Open} button. Click on the open button and LRCC should open (perhaps with your last opened catalog).

After having done that, report back here and describe what is going on with LR.