• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Histogram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckyk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Newest
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello, I have looked on the blog to try and find info about the histogram and how to interpret the triangles in each corner.
For instance what does the cyan in clipping mean and what is the best wat to fix it. Thank you Becky

On the Histogram in the Develop window, the triangles show shadow and highlight clipping. You can pass your cursor over them to see what is clipped in the image, or you can click on the triangles and then they will stay on during your editing and always display the clipped areas. There are uses for both methods, but the information is the same.

Clipped areas generally mean that you have exceeded the dynamic range and will not be able to show details in the clipped areas. For shadows, they will appear as black with no detail. For highlights, they will appear as white with no detail.

--Ken

On the Histogram in the Develop window, the triangles show shadow and highlight clipping. You can pass your cursor over them to see what is clipped in the image, or you can click on the triangles and then they will stay on during your editing and always display the clipped areas. There are uses for both methods, but the information is the same.

Clipped areas generally mean that you have exceeded the dynamic range and will not be able to show details in the clipped areas. For shadows, they will appear as black with no detail. For highlights, they will appear as white with no detail.

--Ken
Thank you so much that is what I thought. If the triangles are a different color then black or white, like many cyan, red, blue.. does that mean a out of gamut color?
Is it true that it is up to each person’s preference if an image calls for clipped blacks?

Is it true that it is up to each person’s preference if an image calls for clipped blacks?
Of course it is. You can do anything that you want to your image.

I concur. I had a friend who used to shoot fashion in the days of film, and he frequently blew out the highlights for effect. You can do as you wish, but it is best if you know what you are doing, and why you are doing it. And yes you can be out of gamut on specific color channels with certain subjects.

--Ken

I concur. I had a friend who used to shoot fashion in the days of film, and he frequently blew out the highlights for effect. You can do as you wish, but it is best if you know what you are doing, and why you are doing it. And yes you can be out of gamut on specific color channels with certain subjects.

--Ken
Thanks Ken! as I told Hal, I color oupside the lines most of the time! Haha but I’m going to make sure I know when and why I’m doing it!

--Ken
I forgot to add that I was “ informed” it was not acceptable to “ever” clip or blow anytime! hehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back