• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Hire a photographer with an IQ of 80 and make a Lightroom that he can understand.

bskyum

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
The problem with everything made by experts is that its to complicated and difficult to use, because they take for granted, that what is obvious to them is also obvious to the user.
Make sure that the stupid photographer ask a lot of stupid questions - and listen carefully.
I am not stupid in general, but I often FEEL stupid when using Lightroom, and I can rarely relax. It takes my full concentration most of the time - tiring - and its very memory demanding.

The mother of genius is simplicity and intuition.

Thank you for a simpler Lightroom

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The 'stupid' questions do get passed back to Adobe are taken into account when designing things, but I think the most difficult thing to do is to make complex functionality simple. What kind of things are tripping you up?

bskyum

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi Victoria
Thanks for bothering to comment my negativity.

I realize, that its difficult to simplify complex matters, but mother nature does it all the time, so it is possible. I expected to save time when I went from ACDsee to lightroom, but the opposite happened and I am less productive.
This may be because I am only intermediate. So a program with a steep learning curve like Lightroom should have a simplified version for the beginner with only the most essential capabilities. We are overwhelmed with choices to make and things to check and make sure before we proceed, and often I have to redo exports of thousands of images due to a tiny nitty gritty detail. Especially import, export and making keyword presets needs simplification - and joining two catalogs (impossible). Maybe you can simply make it possible for the beginner to switch of things that you recommend him not to bother with until he get the basics right. I as a professional do not have time to study and play first and then start working. I jumped right in and made plenty costly mistakes assuming this and that and guessing wrong because its not intuitive enough.
It should be possible to import to a folder we chose and not just to "last import"

Thank you

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Interesting. I thought the default settings were pretty good, but perhaps the availability of checkboxes is too great a temptation to fiddle with! ;)

I'd be surprised if Adobe made a slimmed down version anytime soon, but there's certainly work we can do in educating new users. I'm working on a free quick start guide (well, I'm trying to get to it, it's a work in progress!!!), so any specific things that trip you up, or that confuse you will certainly be useful. It would be interesting to know which bits new users try to dive into first. Is Import, basic file management, basic metadata inlc keywords, basic Develop, and basic Export enough as a quick start, do you think? Catalog management is a minefield, no doubt, but sticking to a single catalog would solve that one until you get in too deep.

It should be possible to import to a folder we chose and not just to "last import"
Explain further? You can import to the folder of your choice, so I'm obviously misunderstanding the misunderstanding.

gregDT

Lightroom Version
My take on programs like Lightroom and Photoshop is to ignore completely what they can do and just concentrate on what I want to do. I found it hard when I started using Lightroom but there are parts of the application that I am almost never going to use and so I ignore them.

The trick is to look at the image and make a mental list of what you want to do with it rather than to consider each of the Lightroom options and whether to use them or not. I used to start by checking white balance, then clipping in the highlights and shadows. Then I'd move down to the through the basic settings panel and on to the tone controls. I'd work my way down the right hand side thinking about whether the specific adjustment was needed and by the time I reached the bottom I'd be exhausted, and probably have a mangled image for my troubles.

A clever person then suggested I just sat and looked at my image for a few moments and make a mental list of what I wanted to do with it. Once I had a plan I should then go to the specific tools and use them. This cut both my workflow time and stress levels in half. Yes we still have to have a basic understanding of the whole application but we can become expert only in the areas that matter to us. For example I never print images as a rule so I only have the most basic understanding of the print module. I don't use complex keywording so I don't explore that function much. However I do make a lot of use of the adjustment brush and so know it's features inside out.

Therefore I feel I'm fully competent in Lightroom while actually only being fully familiar with about 60% of it's features. I understand what the other 40% are and that should I need to use them I can check up using 'Lightroom 3 the Missing FAQ'. This way I've managed to make Lightroom a tool I can use well.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Import have lots of options for where you want to store the images. You can select a folder of your choice, or you can let LR create folders automatically.

Merging two catalogs is no more difficult than using "Import from catalog".

LR requres a new "mindset" since you are now working with a database, but once you realize how it all fits together I promise you will save time. I know I do.

b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
We are overwhelmed with choices to make and things to check and make sure before we proceed, and often I have to redo exports of thousands of images due to a tiny nitty gritty detail. Especially import, export and making keyword presets needs simplification
Because this happened a lot to me also, I use import and export presets a lot, so I cannot forget the little switches which need to be set/unset.

Beat

Gene McCullagh

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Hi bskyum! We've all been there! :)

At first glance LR can be an overwhelming array of panels and switches and presets and and and... But take heart! As Robert suggests, it will click into place.

When you are finding your way through all of this try exporting 2 or 3 images first. See if they turn out the way you expected. If so then do the other 998. If not, make a few more tweaks and try again. Doing this to a few images at first will (1) give you a hands on understanding of what's going on and (2) save you the frustration of having 1,000 images exported incorrectly. If it's something you expect to do regularly then save it as a preset for the future.

Do make sure to let Adobe know of things you find confusing or things you think should be there that aren't. (there's a convenient link at the top of this page) Adobe DOES listen.

Never ever feel that a question is "stupid" because that just isn't true. Everyone benefits from questions asked. No one benefits if we all stay silent. Make full use of these forums. There are a lot of great folk here who are excellent at helping out. We're all in this together.

Take your time and add a deep breath. You will get this down in no time! :nod:

Uncle Don

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have been using lightroom for years, and I still don't have it down, mostly because of the DAM aspects of it. I agree that lightroom seems more oriented toward The Mensa Society, than that of mere mortals, but eventually it becomes useable, once you learn all the secret handshakes. Good Luck.