• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! No new features in the mid-April release, but new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. Here's the usual list

Help with new internal hard drive.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Just installed a new internal SSD drive as prior drive crashed. Photos are safely stored on external drive. How do I re-install Lightroom Classic, files, etc. Creative Cloud app installed on new internal drive. Options from CC app are install Lightroom (Classic), which gives me a new LR with nothing in it. Thanks in advance!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Is this a replacement disk for C:? Or an additional internal drive?
Lightroom Classic (the app) is usually installed in the apps folder (Programs (?)) on C:\. The Catalog file (where you imported metadata data resides)is usually stored in sub folder in the Pictures folder. This catalog file may contain a path pointer to the individual image files stored on a EHD.

First thing you need to do is find your original catalog file and open it. It will look for the imported images in the EHD if that is where they were when you last opened that master catalog file.

I need more information before proceeding.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
It's a replacement internal SSD drive; prior drive failed. I am waiting for Backblaze restore files. New drive has nothing about LR. I did install Creative Cloud app but only option is to install and takes me to import as though it's a new install. Catalog backups as well as images are on operating external drive. Thanks. Hope this helps.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Catalog backups as well as images are on operating external drive.
That's all you need. Copy the latest catalog backup to a 'Lightroom' folder in your Pictures folder, unzip it and start Lightroom by double clicking it. You should now see all your images. Initially the images will not have thumbnails, but Lighroom should start to rebuild these one by one. You only have to start Lightroom this way once, so it knows where the catalog is.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Or wait for Backblaze to restore the catalog, if you had it backing up. Depends on whether your last catalog backup on the EHD was current or if the Backblaze backup is more current. You want to get the most recent if they differ by any significant amount.

Did you use presets, profiles, etc? Those are not stored in the catalog but may be on the backblaze backup (or not). This document may be helpful:

Lightroom Classic File Locations | The Lightroom Queen

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
That's all you need. Copy the latest catalog backup to a 'Lightroom' folder in your Pictures folder, unzip it and start Lightroom by double clicking it. You should now see all your images. Initially the images will not have thumbnails, but Lighroom should start to rebuild these one by one. You only have to start Lightroom this way once, so it knows where the catalog is.
Thanks so much. Am awaiting restore of C:\ drive.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Or wait for Backblaze to restore the catalog, if you had it backing up. Depends on whether your last catalog backup on the EHD was current or if the Backblaze backup is more current. You want to get the most recent if they differ by any significant amount.

Did you use presets, profiles, etc? Those are not stored in the catalog but may be on the backblaze backup (or not). This document may be helpful:

Lightroom Classic File Locations | The Lightroom Queen
Thank you. I won't get restored C:\ until Tuesday.