• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Help with import button grayed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

papascook

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
The import button is grayed out. I cannot import photos. I tried to reset preferences several times. But I do not get the box to ask if I want to reset preferences. It brings up a list of 2 catalogs for me to choose then goes to the regular screen but import button is grayed out. I have an old Lightroom 3 catalog that comes up in the list.
can I delete the old catalog 3?

any suggestions on how to fix this problem. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you.

I am assuming that you are in the Develop Library module. In the module, what is showing under the Folders section in the column on the left? Do you see drives and/or folders listed there? If you click on any of them what happens to the Import button below? And have you tried to create a new catalog and see if the Import command is available? Regarding the old catalog, leave it alone for the moment. It can always be deleted later.

--Ken

Last edited:
I am assuming that you are in the Develop module. In the module, what is showing under the Folders section in the column on the left? Do you see drives and/or folders listed there? If you click on any of them what happens to the Import button below? And have you tried to create a new catalog and see if the Import command is available? Regarding the old catalog, leave it alone for the moment. It can always be deleted later.

When I click on the left on Library the folders show up but just what is already in Lightroom. I can’t get to any other drives or folders. We hen I click on them no Import button just dimmed.
I can use Develop okay with existing photos.
--Ken
Thank you. I’m in Library mode. It doesn’t recognize my SD card or let me go to source.
No I haven’t made a new catalog.

Thank you. I’m in Library mode. It doesn’t recognize my SD card or let me go to source.
No I haven’t made a new catalog.
Ok. First, I made an error in my post above. I meant to say Library, not Develop. It was along day and I apologize for any confusion. Second, try to import from your internal drive instead of the SD card reader/slot (and remove the SD card before you open Lightroom). Is the Import button still grayed out?

--Ken

Yes still grayed out. Because there is no import button there is not “sources” available. My auto import from my phone came in fine.

Idid the shift-opt-delete several times but doesn’t work. Most articles I read say to reset the Preferences. But I don’t seem to be able to do that either. The button flashes on and off but ends up off. What are the default Preferences?

Also. I downloaded my photos to my hard drive from the SD card but I cannot get them into Lightroom.

How would I do that? Would it be empty? Would I copy over my current catalog to it if it works?

It's an experiment. See if you can import to a brand new catalogue.

It's an experiment. See if you can import to a brand new catalogue.
Yes, as Hal stated, this is an experiment to try and isolate the problem. If a new catalog works as it should, then the problem may be with your old catalog. If the new catalog has the same issue, then the problem is probably not catalog-specific. You do not need to move anything over to the new catalog. Just create it and try to import a few images from your internal hard drive. Report back on what happens.

--Ken

New catalog appears to work. I have 186,000 photos in my main catalog.
it is 98GB in size. General size is 1.99 GB. IS there a limit?
Any way to make original catalog work?

Which Import button is greyed out.....the one bottom left of the main Library window, or the one bottom right of the main Import screen? A screenshot of the problem would help.

Yes that’s what I did several times but it brings up the list of catalogs and doesn’t let me reset any of them.

Yes that’s what I did several times but it brings up the list of catalogs and doesn’t let me reset any of them.
You can't reset a catalog. You can only reset the preferences, so that Lightroom starts with its default preference settings.

Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t explain myself correctly. Yes I meant reset the Preferences.

When I choose a catalog it goes to the Library screen and doesn’t give me the choice to reset the preferences.

The shorcut you're trying to use doesn't work for LR5, you have to reset the preferences manually. Follow the instructions in the link that Hal provided.

Thank you.
I didn’t open that before. I will try that procedure. You have been most helpful and I appreciate it very much.

Ok I followed all the instictions and did the system restart

I opened LR and it starts to an opening a screen to give all the required setup info. Like country: Should I go ahead and fill this out? Will it still be my Lightroom like I have been using with my photos etc. ?

Well it worked for one import session but now I open Lightroom and the import button is dimmed again and I cannot add photos.
is it possible my catalog is too bud and I have to many photos on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back