Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version
Sierra
Operating System
Hi guys,
Anyone can help me pls, I have spent a week editing 750 images in lightroom which are now ready to export only to find I get a message saying original files cannot be found, upon a little investigation I have noticed that I have forgot to change the file names on both my wedding cameras since the last wedding last week so when I ask to find missing photos it brings up the last wedding I have recently exported ( 539 ) photos so both of these weddings have the same file names ,can anyone help pls as I have to import some more photos to work on and the client will be wanting her photos soon. ?I can upload screen shots if I haven't explained this very good ?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version

Rupert007

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi,
When I go into library and click find photos or automatically brings up my last wedding showing all 539 images because they have the same file names , the message says original files are missing I'm sure it's because both files have exactly the same file names on them ?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi,
When I go into library and click find photos or automatically brings up my last wedding showing all 539 images because they have the same file names , the message says original files are missing I'm sure it's because both files have exactly the same file names on them ?
As long as you put them in different folder the files can have the same name just located in a different folder. If you did the "Find Missing files" the missing files are the ones in the grid view that do not match the original location where they were imported. These are the ones that you need to use Finder to locate even though there may be some files in LR that have the same name and are not missing. IOW, there should be two files with the same name on your disk. You need to point LR to the correct location on the disk for these files. If there are not two file with the same name then you have somehow deleted (or wrote over) the first file(s) with that name. And you will need to correct this before you can export.

You can prevent this "files with the same name" problem by setting your camera file naming to not reset to "0001" By making this change, your file names won't repeat for at least 10,000 images. If you catalog your images in "Date Named" folders, your wedding shoots will always be uniquely located on the Disk drive and in LR. And Duplicately named files will fall into different dates and date named folders.

Rupert007

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi thank you for the help, it has not resolved it, I have checked my folders that I uploaded the wedding photos into with and they all have different names, when I'm in library or develop with the wedding file I'm trying to export it still says original files are missing, when I go in library and click find missing files it just brings up the last wedding I exported last week ?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Perhaps you do not understand what this menu does. ‘Find Missing Files’ only shows you which images are missing. It does not search for them on the hard disk nor tries to ‘reconnect’ them. That is something you must do.

Rupert007

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
I will try not sure how to re direct lightroom as soon as I click find photos around 550 photos from the last wedding pop up, I'll give it a go again anyway sorry for troubling you and taking up your time, I'll prob end up trying to get someone to come to house and have a look, thank you for all your help anyway.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
as soon as I click find photos around 550 photos from the last wedding pop up,
That just means that those photos from the last wedding are also missing (i.e. Lightroom can no longer "see" them). There are various reasons for files to become "missing", but the most common reason is that the user renames, moves, or deletes the original files outside Lightroom using Finder. Given the issue you reported in the original post about forgetting to change file names in the cameras, it sounds as though you mave have subsequently renamed the files using Finder, which would explain why Lightroom thinks they are missing. Unfortunately, if that is indeed the case, the "fix" is not straightforward. If possible, renaming the files back to the way they were when you imported them would be the easiest solution (provided you didn't also move them at the same time as they were renamed).

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thank you I'll keep trying .
Can you post a screen shot of the Missing photographs special collection With at least a few of the image thumbnails showing so that we can see the Exclamation mark (!) on the thumbnail? Include in the screenshot the Catalog panel showing the number of images missing.