• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Help with creation of slideshow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samherst

I'm volunteering to run a photobooth for my employer, and I've hit a bit of a wall with LR. Here's my process:

Photos are taken from a tethered 7D and imported into a watched folder (let's call it "original")
Photos show up in the library in LR and are then cropped, approved by the editor, and exported to an "approved" folder

I'd like to run a slideshow of ONLY the "approved" folder that updates as soon as photos are approved and exported there.

SO, the question - is there any way to have the "slideshow" window on an external monitor to auto-update from the watched "approved" folder while the editing on the main monitor is only watching the "original folder?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
The only way I can think of doing this from a single machine is to have two instances of Lightroom running on the same machine. The two instances of Lightroom will need to be different versions and cannot access the same catalog

Instance 1: Handles import via a watched folder, does the editing, exports to a separate folder
Instance 2: Has Empty Catalog. Watches the export folder. Slideshow runs on the All Photos.

I tested briefly with Ver 2.7 running Instance 1 and Ver 3PB2 running Instance 2: the slideshow and it appears to work but I am not sure it won't flake out.

Samherst

I'll give that a try - thanks! My only concern is that if I'm running the slideshow full-screen on monitor two via LR2.7 any time I go to LR2 on the monitor one, the slideshow stops - i can't figure out how to keep it locked and active on the second monitor once I switch to a new application on Monitor 1.

Ideally, I could import the files into Photoshop on Monitor 1, export them to the watched folder, and have LR add them to the slideshow on Monitor 2...but as soon as PS becomes the "front" application on Monitor 1, the slideshow stops on Monitor 2.

At this point, I think I'm even confusing myself trying to describe it...

[quote author=RikkFlohr link=topic=9754.msg66'32#msg66'32 date=1273'64851]
The only way I can think of doing this from a single machine is to have two instances of Lightroom running on the same machine. The two instances of Lightroom will need to be different versions and cannot access the same catalog

Instance 1: Handles import via a watched folder, does the editing, exports to a separate folder
Instance 2: Has Empty Catalog. Watches the export folder. Slideshow runs on the All Photos.

I tested briefly with Ver 2.7 running Instance 1 and Ver 3PB2 running Instance 2: the slideshow and it appears to work but I am not sure it won't flake out.
[/quote]

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Another possible solution is to keep Lightroom on first monitor culling as you wish and without using Lightroom's Slideshow module. On the second monitor, just open Windows Explorer, go to where you export the keepers and put it in slideshow mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.