• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

Develop module Help! Time to switch between photos?

photojohnny89

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Please help, this is driving me crazy! Wedding photographer here, so thousands of pictures.

Library module works really fast and snappy (also exporting and previews), BUT in develop module it takes 1-2 seconds going between photos (maybe doesn't sound like much but again: thousands of pics) - when I press the right arrow (for example) five times, it skips all photos in between because it's so slow and laggy and doesn't stop at each single photo. It's really a pain to work with, feels non-reactive as if I had 50 other programs opened. I'm not sure since when this is happening! Just spent a low of money on a new computer a while ago for faster working:

Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 16 CPUS 3,8 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
32 RAM
(when skipping through photos it uses ~40% RAM and CPU each)

- Camera: Canon R6ii compressed 24 MP RAWS (same with DNGs or JPG)
- LR tried with 13.1 and upgraded to 13.3 -> same!

- Photos stored on an Sata HDD (TOSHIBA MG08ACA16TE 16000,9 GB)
- Catalog stored on a fast NVM Express SSD (KINGSTON SNVS1000G 1000,2 GB)
-> Tried to move Photos + Catalog on the same SSD -> no difference

- Synching, Face detection etc -> Everything off
- Removed almost all of my presets from LR to see if it makes a difference
- Doesn't matter if preset is applied or not (!) still slow
- LR GPU Settings on/off no difference

- Tried every kind of previews, no difference (of course even slower with no previews)

How is it working for you? How long do you have to wait in develop mode? Also 1-2 seconds or is it snappy like the library mode? Thanks !!!

Suggestion. Turn off noise and sharpening settings on your default import preset. When you have completed all other settings and have short listed your keepers apply your default noise and sharpening settings in bulk (to keepers only) and then fine tune noise and sharpening to suit individualism images.

Noise and sharpening result in larger workload to render images, so only apply as a last step in your workflow.

This may not be the final solution, but should help.

Ps. I noticed a massive slow down when I moved from a7riii to a7rv.

I improved things a lot by reducing the size of my default preview size, as I rarely use full screen to edit (ie tabs, etc).

Suggestion. Turn off noise and sharpening settings on your default import preset. When you have completed all other settings and have short listed your keepers apply your default noise and sharpening settings in bulk (to keepers only) and then fine tune noise and sharpening to suit individualism images.

Noise and sharpening result in larger workload to render images, so only apply as a last step in your workflow.

This may not be the final solution, but should help.

Ps. I noticed a massive slow down when I moved from a7riii to a7rv.

I improved things a lot by reducing the size of my default preview size, as I rarely use full screen to edit (ie tabs, etc).
Thanks! Unfortunately it's the same with every file type, with or without presets (so even with no sharpening etc, it's laggy)

Several years ago, with LR 5 I believe, I did exactly that method though, I sharpened just before exporting (but then LR changed a setting that "sharpening OFF" couldn't be saved with a preset so that didn't work so smoothly anymore)

I also noticed that changing the screen size (making the LR window smaller) doesn't change anything - in develop mode (!) - library works like a charm though

You probably have tried a few of the following. Not a complete list....just a brain dump.
  • Make sure you have plenty of free space on your C Drive (ie 100GB or 10%, which ever is greater).
  • Try clearing the raw cache.
  • Try resetting the Lightroom settings ( this solves lot of weird behaviour)
  • Are your images on a slow drive.
  • If on an external drive... check the ports, cable and do a disk speed test.

When I ran into Lr performance issues I also
1. Turned off Windows Indexing (except for email and some other file type I cannot remember) as Windows indexing was competing with Lr, as mostly I use Lr after I import images and Windows Indexing wanted to index the new files added to the PC at the same time and maybe was trying to index my preview files as they were been generated.
2. Turned Off Virus Scanning on my Catalog and Previews.
3. Turned off virus scanning on my imported images.

I never got a benefit from Windows Indexing.... it never found what I was looking for. Instead I use ....

1720440225156.png

And it is brilliant. I have created presets for my most common searches.... a game changer for finding files on my PC.

making the LR window smaller
Making the window smaller and changing the default (standard) preview setting may be two different things.

Standard Preview is in the Catalog settings ... ie can be changed per catalog. I only use a single catalog, but I have a 4k screen.

This reduces exponently some of the rendering of the images for display, depending on workflow.

1720440540471.png

Thanks! Yes I tried everything, also 1020px previews with low quality and every other kind of preview - no change unfortunately in Dev Mode.

I have no AV program, just windows defender, so I don't think it's scanning. Also tried closing every application outside of LR - no difference

I googled a lot and every LR speed issue topic has "AMD Ryzen" in it, it seems! maybe bad luck with the combination?

Thanks! Yes I tried everything, also 1020px previews with low quality and every other kind of preview - no change unfortunately in Dev Mode.
There wouldn't be any change in Develop.....library previews are not used at all in that module.

I did a test on my system, as follows.

AMD Ryzen 3900x 3.8GHz with 64GB of memory.
Using a Gigabyte RTX4070Ti GPU with 12 GB memory.
Data on a M2 drive which has been tested to read at 6500MB/s.

Using the right arrow key, in develop mode, I could move from image to image... Approx 1.5 secs to move to each image.
Using 5x right arrow... it arrived at the 6th image in 5.4 seconds. I tested this a few times and kept getting very close to 5.4.

The images were developed files, a mix of 2 x dng and 4 x psd, after Denoise and /or a round trip the photoshop. The dngs were 110 MB and psds were 400-500MB.

While my CPU is no longer latest and greatest, I would not expect performance much greater than this.

I repeated the exercise on 6 raw files. It took 5.5 seconds. The images were approx 64MB each.

Windows Defender.
When I launched Lr to do this test I could immediately sense that my system was immediately experiencing some intensive processing. When Lr had launched and settled down, I checked task master and could see that a Microsoft anti malware app was running and one of my spinning disks was experiencing intensive i/o operations.... so Defender and how it is configured will have an impact on performance.

I am using Lr 13.1 as waiting for latest release to settle down.

@photojohnny89 @Gnits I now have the same problem since I’ve been using a Canon R5 45mp dng files, I didn’t notice this with my R6 20mp dng files. (At import I convert the canon raw files to dng.)

I have a Mac Mini M1 with 8gb ram, 512GB Internal SSD and 4TB External M.2 SSD.

I thought it’s the ram where the bottle neck is, I close all apps and just run LR Classic on its own it seems better. Obvious you have plenty of ram so I’m interested if you solve this issue which would save me upgrading my Mac to a Mac Studio M2 which has 32gb ram minimum.

Last edited:
@NickRno77

I suspect ram and GPU are factors. Also, need to consider more than min memory specs as on Apple M processors, memory is shared between cpu and GPU, which is good for performance, but you need to have enough memory for both cpu and GPU processing.

Thanks! I wonder if anyone has faster and snappier times moving from image to image in dev mode.. I don't remember working like this in the past, don't know since when that happened, but it's no fun! I think some people wrote about version 12 when I googled it

my files are compressed raws (10mb) and dng and even jpgs from my smartphone - all of them are laggy and no noticable difference

when moving from image to image in dev mode, also the left and right panels are greyed out for a short time, seems LR is loading everything new on each image

@photojohnny89 @Gnits maybe Adobe have introduced a bug? Mind I’ve had this problem since I purchased the r5 4 weeks ago, I think I’ve had 2 updates since?

@photojohnny89 I was windows till I bought the Mac Mini M1, is was a game changer as far as speed go’s especially processing videos, I bought the Mac because equivalent performance PC would have cost me twice the price. The M1 is amazing!

I have a Mac Mini M1 with 8gb ram, 512GB Internal SSD and 4TB External M.2 SSD.
I'm not even sure why Adobe says that a Mac with 8GB of RAM is a minimum. They also list 2GB of VRAM. So right there that tells you that your M1Mac Mini doesn't meet the Mac Intel specs. Adobe needs to seriously update their System requirements to consider that Apple no longer has Intel machines and the silicon chips integrate GPU and CPU.

That said, you need at least 100GB free on the internal SSD to accommodate working storage. LrC uses lots of temporary files. If you run out of working storage LrC will slow considerably trying to find room on the primary disk for temporary files. Also with 8GB of RAM, LrC is going to consume all of your available RAM and start swapping out RAM to the Swap Disk (also stored in working storage).

Sometime shortly after Adobe introduced DeNoise, I started seeing considerable slowing of my 16GB M1 iMac. In January I replaced my barely 2 y.o. iMac with a 64GB RAM MacStudio (M2 Ultra chip)
  • 24-core CPU with 16 performance cores and 8 efficiency cores
  • 60-core GPU
  • 32-core Neural Engine
A 48mp RAW image now takes 8 sec to complete DeNoise.

I'm not even sure why Adobe says that a Mac with 8GB of RAM is a minimum. They also list 2GB of VRAM. So right there that tells you that your M1Mac Mini doesn't meet the Mac Intel specs. Adobe needs to seriously update their System requirements to consider that Apple no longer has Intel machines and the silicon chips integrate GPU and CPU.

However, saying an M1 Mac mini doesn’t meet the Intel specs does not also mean it doesn't meet the specs. On Intel Macs, I don’t think Intel integrated graphics were ever able to get more than 1.5GB out of system RAM, but the way Apple Silicon Unified Memory is continuously reallocated is much more dynamic and flexible, so under some conditions there may be times when 2GB of graphics memory is available on an 8GB Mac. Although realistically, a lot of times there will certainly not be 2GB to spare on an 8GB Mac, which is why 16GB is recommended.

It is true that Adobe shouldn’t be mentioning 2GB of graphics memory for Apple Silicon, because dynamic allocation means there is no way to choose a Mac based on graphics memory before purchase.

A 48mp RAW image now takes 8 sec to complete DeNoise.
i checked the smaller R6 DNG files, seems they display slow as well but slightly quicker than the larger R5 DNG’s. Something I haven’t noticed so this issue could have started happening when DeNoise was added or that version of LR?

What raw files are you processing?

When you switch between the thumbnails on the film strip do they display instantly of course in develop?

@Conrad Chavez M1 Mac Mini with 8GB ram tops the ram out as soon as I load up LRc. When switching between thumbnails the Process Monitor averages out at about 7.25 GB. If it gos below 7GB switching thumbnails gets quicker then slows again when RAM used increases.

It’s not unusable, I’m not a pro so it’s not mission critical to have super speed although it would be a good excuse to buy a Mac Studio .

@clee01l are you saying you had issues with your M1 16gb ram Mac and how much improvement did you get with your M2 Studio if any ?
My memory might be off but I seem to recall that a 48mp NEF took more than 60 sec in DeNoise. with the 16GB M1 and ~8sec with the 64GB M2 Ultra.

What’s it like as far as switching between images on the film roll like the original posters issue?

Near instantaneous. But the OP is on an intel Windows. It’s like trying to compare Apples to Oranges (Windows)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a Windows 11 home machine (no GPU used), Lightroom 13.4, and there is definitely a difference in the speed for switching between images between library and develop.

For me this is most noticeable on images with lots of masks, and lens blur. Some of these take 4-5 seconds in the develop module.

My best guess is Lightroom is loading the data needed to let you make changes in develop (masks, blur data, etc?) when you change images. Then you can start right away making changes to the image. The alternative is that this data is loaded when you start making changes, so then you have to wait after moving a slider.

I don't remember this being different on earlier versions of Lightroom, but that might be my aging brain.

I wonder if changing Camera Raw Cache could help this.

I just tested on a Macbook M3 Pro and its significantly faster! No grayed out panels anymore (left and right) while skipping from image to image.. it's a shame it's not optimized for Windows!

Back