• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Help Required PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogs

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
no idea (mod edit - probably 8.3.1)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have Lightroom subscription. Have been using it for some years now. However, I took a three year break from photography and just in the last two weeks got back into things.
For starters I am rusty as anything and almost having to relearn just about everything.
Microsoft advised that win 7 was not being supported soon so I had my computer (s) upgraded to Win 10 by a Professional.
My Lightroom is Empty of images on one computer, and the other is saying it cant find my catalogue.

I have ALL my images on external drives in one folder.
Is there any way I can clean slate start over, as if it was a new install of LR?
I'm not really computer savvy aside of basic user for some years now. Win 10 is confounding me, cant even work out how to get a screen shot!!

Your help will be appreciated, thanks in advance
Andrew (3dogs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andrew, yes, you can start a new catalog and import the photos afresh if you're not worried about carrying over the work you'd done previously. If you do that, you might want to let the import move the photos into a new folder structure rather than having everything in a single folder.

Alternatively, search the computer for the catalog you were using previously. It'll have an lrcat extension.

Hi Andrew, yes, you can start a new catalog and import the photos afresh if you're not worried about carrying over the work you'd done previously. If you do that, you might want to let the import move the photos into a new folder structure rather than having everything in a single folder.

Alternatively, search the computer for the catalog you were using previously. It'll have an lrcat extension.
Thanks for that.
But.....
Lr will not import from my lr folder full stop.
I click on the folder in import Source, then nothing.. the import button on the right is inactive.

Is ADD selected at the top Andrew? If so, grab us a screenshot as we should be able to spot the problem.

Is ADD selected at the top Andrew? If so, grab us a screenshot as we should be able to spot the problem.
Ha! Therein lays problem 1...cant find how to get a screen shot on Win 10.

Lr has backed up over the years. I have back up files and catalogues coming out of my ears.
I just want to delete everything associated with the past...everything!!
Then load the images on my Lr Folder of some 16,000 images into a clean empty Lightroom and stzrt over

Lr has backed up over the years. I have back up files and catalogues coming out of my ears.
I just want to delete everything associated with the past...everything!!
Then load the images on my Lr Folder of some 16,000 images into a clean empty Lightroom and stzrt over

Adobe has also confused me utterly with product names.
I have an ongoing subbscription to a 2015 lightroom cc. So which one is that?

That's the equivalent of Lightroom 7. The newer version - aka version 8 - is now called Lightroom Classic. You'll find that available for download in your Creative Cloud system tray app, and it'll open your catalog without needing to upgrade the format.

And don't worry, most people are a bit confused by their ever-changing naming.

Left-click on the Windows icon (it is that four 'square' thing usually bottom left) and type the word 'snip'. W10 will offer you 'Snip & Sketch', it is the new snipping tool. (W10 still offers the old snipping tool too.)

HTHs

If you are likely to use the snipping tool at all regularly (I do), I suggest pinning it to the task bar so it's always readily available. (For obvious reasons, a short cut on the desktop is no good!)

If you are likely to use the snipping tool at all regularly (I do), I suggest pinning it to the task bar so it's always readily available. (For obvious reasons, a short cut on the desktop is no good!)
Great tip many thanks. I have a feeling I will NEED to have that snipping tool handy for a while:laugh:
Thanks for the tip, will be well used I fear :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back