• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Help please with Profile Color adjustments......

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMalachowski

Lightroom Version Number
most current
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have uploaded about 500 CR3 files into Lightroom Classic. Each can use some brightness by changing the Profile from Adobe Color to Modern 02.

Is there a way to update all 500 images at once, as opposed to changing each one - which will take a long time. The update of Profile color change does not seem to be carried out during "MATCH TOTAL EXPOSURE".

Profiles have nothing to do with exposure, so they are not changed with this menu. Select all 500 images, click on the small switch on the left of the Sync... button so it changes to Auto Sync and then change the profile of the current image. Done.

1 2021-02-24 11-00-59.jpg

Are you working with Raw or JPEGs? I'd have left the setting on (working with) Adobe RGB color space and done a select all - auto brightness for starters.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Are you working with Raw or JPEGs? I'd have left the setting on (working with) Adobe RGB color space and done a select all - auto brightness for starters.

You confuse color profiles with camera profiles. AdobeRGB is a color profile. You can’t choose that in the Develop module, because Lightroom always works with its own color profile, called ’MelissaRGB’. What we were talking about here is camera profiles.

Well I haven't looked at LR in some time and I found the original post somewhat confusing but with Nikon you can set the camera to shoot in Adobe RGB for JPEGs and, also it's my understanding that if you're shooting Raw that's just a place-keeper in the EXIF registry. Then when you're in LR you need to have a working color space and I'd stay in Adobe RGB and (I) also have my monitors calibrated to as close to that as possible.

Well I haven't looked at LR in some time and I found the original post somewhat confusing but with Nikon you can set the camera to shoot in Adobe RGB for JPEGs and, also it's my understanding that if you're shooting Raw that's just a place-keeper in the EXIF registry. Then when you're in LR you need to have a working color space and I'd stay in Adobe RGB and (I) also have my monitors calibrated to as close to that as possible.

That is not correct (Lightroom works in MelissaRGB regardless of what you set in the camera) and that is not what we were talking about.

That is not correct (Lightroom works in MelissaRGB regardless of what you set in the camera) and that is not what we were talking about.
When Converting a RAW file to RGB is when that file gets assigned a Working colorspace. There are color profiles (all of the colors in the images data fit inside a color profile) and there are Working colorspaces. Lightroom uses the MellissaRGB.icc for a working colorspace. When you create an export, the export gets assigned a color profile. ProPhotoRGB, AdobeRGB & sRGB are used as color profiles that can be assigned to derivative file created by Lightroom.

Melissa RGB? never heard of her. I spent 50+ yrs in the (photo) business. I disliked LR when it came out and still only use it only on occasion.

Melissa RGB? never heard of her. I spent 50+ yrs in the (photo) business. I disliked LR when it came out and still only use it only on occasion.

MellissaRGB is unique to Adobe. Basically it is ProPhotoRGB with an sRGB Gamma. And As I indicated it is used internally for the working colorspace.

My guess is that some Adobe Employee named Mellissa developed the color space and Adobe saw benefit in using it over ProPhotoRGB.

(Can you say money, as in licencing fees?)

I think you have a jaded view of Adobe. Do you have to pay a licensing fee to use sRGB, AdobeRGB? Really! These are public domain color profiles developed by HP and Adobe and given freely to the color consortium responsible for theses standards. Adobe developed AdobeRGB many years ago. I think they saw a functional benefit to tweaking the ProPhotoRGB colorprofile and assigned a name to distinguish it over the ProPhotoRGB standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reading this thread sent me down a little rabbit hole of research to make sure I understood what MelissaRGB really is. It turns out that the internal Lightroom processing color space is not MelissaRGB. The internal processing space uses the same color primaries as ProPhoto RGB, but using a linear (gamma 1.0) tone curve. (If it was straight ProPhoto RGB it would use gamma 1.8.)

In Lightroom the MelissaRGB color space is used in the Develop module only, for display and to calculate color readouts and the histogram. MelissaRGB is ProPhoto RGB with an sRGB tone curve. While the sRGB tone curve is often said to be gamma 2.2, it’s customized in the shadows (the toe) so it is not pure 2.2.

This information came from quotes by photographer Jeff Schewe, including from his reference book The Digital Print. He has participated in and influenced the development of Lightroom from the beginning, as well as Camera Raw and Photoshop.

And Cletus is correct that any talk of “licensing fees” is irrelevant. If you want to make a lot of money off licensing fees, the more licensees the better. But these custom color spaces are used inside Adobe applications hidden from the user, which means zero licensees to make money from. If a license even existed for it, which it doesn’t. And if another raw processing application wants to use ProPhoto RGB primaries with a tweaked gamma curve, they don’t have to pay anybody or get permission…you just go ahead and program it that way.

My guess is that some Adobe Employee named Mellissa

To round out the history lesson, the Melissa in question was Melissa Gaul, Lightroom QE and Technical Evangelist. I still miss her being on the Lightroom team, she was great. Her husband Troy was the project lead in the early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back