Help! Photos missing, files still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lane Hickenbottom

Starting yesterday when I load LR it does not display any images. In place of the images (in grid mode) you can see the grid, but no photos. As you mouse over the grid, various squares light up or disappear (without pressing any buttons). I can see the different star ratings I gave each photo in their respective squares on the grid, and I can see any color flagging I gave the photos. As I switch through the modules (develop/slideshow/web/etc) still no images.

I'm running XP Pro 64.

Here is a screen capture of the problem:
LRproblem.jpg

Please ignore the fact that there is a red folder....I know how to fix that and will as soon as I can see the images. This problem is in all the folders and in all of the modules.

I've tried starting a new catalog and downloading new images into it to see if the catalog is corrupt. Same result.

I've uninstalled many times and reinstalled, even tried installing to a new folder. Same result. However each time I uninstall and reinstall my catalogs are automatically found in the new install and I don't have to register with my SN. So apparently I'm not successful in completely wiping LR from the system on my uninstall. I've also tried manually deleting the preferences file and the presets folder.

It seems like I'm not getting a very complete uninstall. Every time I reinstall, LR already has my registration information and knows where my catalog is (which is on another drive). I don't know how to manually do a more thorough uninstall, but I'm open to instruction.

Any insights? Thanks for the help!

I don't seem to be having any other memory issues. I assume you mean RAM? Is there anyway I can tell?

Right now, I'm trying to remove every little bit of LR off of my system and starting new.

Does anybody know what all I have to do to get LR off my system? Unfortunately running the uninstall leaves behind lots of LR remnants.

Has nobody noticed that the #2 cell in Grid View is upside down? Doesn't that imply a memory issue?

You bet.

Test...

Ian Farlow;168' said:
Would you take a moment to add a signature to your profile per these instructions? It helps with troubleshooting to know about your system. There is a link with images to help set up your signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was working fine for about a week. And I know of at least one person on another forum that has been running LR on a 64 system with no issues for some time. That's not an official answer, but based on what I know.

First thing that springs to mind is this: is Lightroom 1.2 capable of running properly in a 64 bit Windows environment?

That's what I've found. What I haven't found is another example of this happening.

Back to a question I had a bit ago, any ideas how to completely rid my system of LR so I can start fresh?

A little light reading on the internet and it appears that Lightroom is running without issue on 64 bit systems. Hm...

Okay,

I've removed every little piece of LR from my system that I could find including any catalogs. I'm convinced my problem is not a catalog problem. I reinstalled LR (again) but this time after re-downloading the install file from adobe to make sure I wasn't using a corrupt file. Still no dice.

Sooooooooooooo.....in my mind there is either a hardware issue that just popped up out of the blue after not being an issue. Or there is a file somewhere on my system that is not getting uninstalled when I uninstall the software. (The preferences and preset folders, for instance, are not uninstalling without me manually deleting them).

So as I see it I have 3 choices.

Find that file and kill it so I can finally have a completely fresh install (through this process in which I've reinstalled a dozen times, I've never had to re-register, for instance)

Buy a new computer

Throw out my entire workflow, which has been built around Lightroom, and start from scratch using a different application.

Am I wrong?

:cry: I'm at the end of my rope here.

There's a 1.1 download you could try http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3669
or I've probably even got 1.' somewhere still.

I'd agree there's something somewhere - although I'd more inclined to think registry. If you can find it, yippee!!!

To be honest, at this point I'd be thinking in terms of reinstalling the operating system. Particularly on Windows machines, it's often quicker than trying to work out what the problem is! (If you do this, make sure you deactivate PS first!) 3 or 4 hours to reinstall everything and you'd be up and running normally again. Is that an option?

Sorry we can't figure out what's going on!

Doh, and I missed a perfect opportunity to tell you to buy a Mac! ;) :D

That's an interesting idea BigUIFan! Lane, the previews are kept alongside the catalog - rename it so it has to create a new one - it's got to be worth a go before you reinstall everything, and if it doesn't help, you can always change the name back.

I've deleted everything on my computer that has "lightroom" in the name and I've gone through line-by-line of every file that has "lr" in the name. So to answer your question, I don't know.

But I think so.

When you've done these "full" uninstalls, have you also killed ALL previews directories.

Previews wouldn't have lightroom in the name. It'd be with the catalog - if your catalog's called My Catalog then it'll be called My Catalog Previews in the same place.

In that case, yes, I deleted it. I deleted all the catalogs, the photos themselves, and every other single little piece of the puzzle I could find.

I tried 1.1

I'm giving up.

Maybe I'll reinstall my OS. Maybe I'll just not use LR and change my workflow. Maybe I'll buy Mac next time.

:cry:

Previews wouldn't have lightroom in the name. It'd be with the catalog - if your catalog's called My Catalog then it'll be called My Catalog Previews in the same place.

Oh, I forgot to say "thanks!"

Even though the results didn't pan out, I know several of you spent a bunch of time trying to help me out.

Thank you very much BigIUfan, Kiwigeoff, Ray, Mark, Ian and especially Victoria. You guys are great!

Lane

You actually deleted your entire Lightroom folder/directory that contains your catalog and previews? In the Windows world it's C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom.

I deleted EVERYTHING that looked like LR ever touched it. So yes.

I tried to get my computer to the place when lightroom had not been installed. My hopes were that I could give it a fresh install and everything would be back to normal.

I know I never succeeded in that goal of getting it off my system. Maybe I should try to do a system recover to a prior date. That might work and save me some heartache.

You actually deleted your entire Lightroom folder/directory that contains your catalog and previews? In the Windows world it's C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom.

Have you considered sending your catalog to someone else to verify that they can accurately view your images? It'd be a pain to find out that a total OS reinstall left you with the same problem.

One last thing. Some similar problems surfaced as a result of screwy Nvidia drivers.

One last thing. Some similar problems surfaced as a result of screwy Nvidia drivers.

Really!!!! I've had some monitor-video card issues. As a result, I've done a lot of Nvidia driver swapping.

What do you know about this, or can you point me to another resource? Last night when I was thinking about the problem it occurred to me that this might be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back