HELP:Need a suggestion for the best Duplicate photo finder Application for my LR catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassiman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Anyone have a suggestion for the best Duplicate photo finder /deletion application for finding and cleaning out duplicate files from ones LR CC catalog and or computer?

Paid or free. Just one that is fairky accurate and will work without corrupting the data files.

Last edited:
On a Mac you could also try Photo Sweeper and/or Snapselect. Both have demos.

Note that what is a "duplicate" isn't trivial, since one might have versions of the same image. And you have to decide if things like brackets are duplicates; technically they're not, but you might wanna treat them that way.

Thanks Cletus! Might I inquire as to how well you thought it worked for you... and is there much danger of it corrupting or otherwise messing up your LR CC catalog?
First, it does not delete any images. Only you can make the decision and do the Deleting. Second the result of the Duplicate finder process is a special collection of possible duplicates There is also a flag added to the database that flags the duplicates found by duplicate finder. You get to review the special collection removing from the collection those images that are not considered by you to be a duplicate. Remaining then are your originals that have duplicates and one or more duplicates associated with these originals You can then highlight the identified duplicates and remove them from the catalog AND optionally deleting them from the disk.

You don't mess up the catalog and of course you made a backup copy of the catalog before running the Duplicate Finder plugin.

Here's a Plugin for LR that I've used in the past Lightroom Plugins - Duplicate Finder for Lightroom
Cletus,

Just wondering. Did you also try out other plug-ins for duplicate detection? I'm asking because I'm about to "populate" my base Lightroom install with all manner of plug-in, and sometimes I will be comparing two or three plug-ins that accomplish the same objective. I have a very high regard for your opinions in this forum, which is why I'm asking.

Cletus,

Just wondering. Did you also try out other plug-ins for duplicate detection? I'm asking because I'm about to "populate" my base Lightroom install with all manner of plug-in, and sometimes I will be comparing two or three plug-ins that accomplish the same objective. I have a very high regard for your opinions in this forum, which is why I'm asking.
I've used Duplicate Finder plugin in conjunction with LR and cleaning up other people's snafu'd catalogs. That is the only reason I have used it. On a more general duplicate witch hunt, I have a license for Gemini. An OS X specific app. And this is the reason that my opinion won't count for much in your Windows centric world.

I've used Duplicate Finder plugin in conjunction with LR and cleaning up other people's snafu'd catalogs. That is the only reason I have used it. On a more general duplicate witch hunt, I have a license for Gemini. An OS X specific app. And this is the reason that my opinion won't count for much in your Windows centric world.
Cletus,

Thanks. For general duplicate detection in Windows, there are a bazillion alternatives. My choice is Duplicate Cleaner Free, from Digital Volcano Software.

Phil

Try VisiPics - VisiPics if you are trying to match visually-similar images.

I use it to find and delete the lower resolution copies of images that were shared from my smartphone and downloaded back to my PC. They ended up in LR which was not often easy to locate them in the catalog.

A wise 'word' for Lightroom 'Beginners'-
You should (I suggest 'Must') use a 'Duplicate Finder' that works with Lightroom as a Plug-in.
If you find duplicates with a program that is external to Lightroom (like free Duplicate Photo Finder) and you delete files that might be referenced in the LR catalog, your catalog will be littered with 'missing' photos (or even FUBAR) giving you another job to tidy up your catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back