Help: I created a New Folder in LR (v5.6) and now cannot find over 14,000 stored photos in previous catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalite

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR 5.7
Operating System
I recently created a new folder in LR 5.6 and when I try to access the 14,000 photos stored in an earlier folder all photos are blank in Library View. How can I recover those images?

I have been using a Seagate 1.5 TB external hard drive and it stored all my photos until about 6 months ago when I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra. Seagate Backup Plus drive does not appear compatible with the Mac OS version Sierra. I have tried Time Machine and it will not show the Seagate HD files either.

Perhaps my problem is twofold: (1) recover LR images and (2) recover Seagate HD files. If I can recover the LR files I would be satisfied for now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please post a screenshot.

Here are two screen shots.
The first one is from the New Catalog and the one showing the blank Library images (older Catalog) show an attempt to retrieve those images in Finder by right-clicking a blank image file. The New Catalog is, of course, OK and shows all current shots in the catalog. I am concerned with the 14,000 images that I cannot seem to retrieve from the old catalog.

P.S. I attempted to drag both screen shots to this page but it covers this entire page and there is no place to click on blue box "Post Reply" How to do it?

Second try. First image is OLD catalog and second image is NEW catalog. Sorry about the Adobe ".png" file format

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.07.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.07.55 PM.png
    593 KB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.06.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.06.55 PM.png
    834.2 KB · Views: 255
Neither catalog is OK, both show that almost all the images are "missing". The reason why you can "see" one of the images is probably because that particular catalog has an established previews cache (the Library module shows previews of the original images), whereas because the images are "missing" the new catalog cannot create the previews, so you see blank thumbnails.

To fix this, we need to better understand the first sentence in your first post. "Creating a new folder" has no impact on Lightroom, unless you then moved your images into that folder.....is that what you did? And where do the "old" and "new" catalogs figure into this issue?

Typically after I have processed a Lightroom RAW (or JPEG) file I save it to a specific folder (e.g., Birds, raptors, flora and fauna, miscellaneous, etc.) and backed up in my Seagate 1.5 TB external hard drive. However, because the Seagate HDD is now full files (and I cannot retrieve those Seagate files because it is not compatible with OS Sierra) are stored to my Mac HD under those folders mentioned above. Whenever I remember I back up the LR files except for rare occasion when certain images are to worth backing up.

To be honest with you, I am confused as to whether I created a new folder or new catalog (I think it might have been a new catalog) The big question is why can't I find my old catalog? In the Scott Kelby LR3 book it states that if I right clicked on a blank image I would get the dreaded pop up box which would state "so-and-so.jpg " could not be used because the original file could not be found. It then asks if I would like to locate it. I haven't tried that.

As you can see from my screen shots, the old and new catalogs show their various status. Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Just. found out I did create a new Catalog (see screen shot) and when I clicked on the New Catalog it showed three folders with Backup dates. But when I click on any one of the Backup dates it shows the Lightroom Ircat and when I click on that nothing happens. See next post for the following screen shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.55.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.55.03 PM.png
    466.2 KB · Views: 230
Second screen shot showing Backup dates. Clicking on any backup folder then shows Lightroom Ircat icon but nothing opens clicking that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.00.47 PM.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 245
I'm somewhat confused. You say to quit Lightroom and replace the current catalog file with a backup catalog file. How to do this if I quit Lightroom? Can you walk me through step by step? Sorry for my ignorance (I do have senior moments)

I'm somewhat confused. You say to quit Lightroom and replace the current catalog file with a backup catalog file. How to do this if I quit Lightroom? Can you walk me through step by step? Sorry for my ignorance (I do have senior moments)
You do it in the Finder. Drag a backup copy from its folder into the main catalog folder. When the Mac says 'Do you want to replace the existing file?' (or something in those words) then you click yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back