• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Help, coloured squares appearing on images imported into LR from PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliviaspencerbower

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 2019
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me...I have edited my photos in LR, exported them as PSDs, edited them in PS, then reimported them into LR, so that I can export as JPEGs. For some reason though the Black and White images are having big coloured squares turn up on them in LR. When I open the file in PS there is nothing there, but back in LR the coloured squares show up. When I export the images the coloured squares export onto the jpgs. I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate what is happening.

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Thank you.
Olivia

Attachments

• 46165014_207610840134180_7561741677858127872_o.jpg
    46165014_207610840134180_7561741677858127872_o.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 344
You say "...reimported them in LR..." . Do you mean you really do an import of the file modified in PS ? Don't you use the "modified in Photoshop" function of LR ?

Try this: In Photoshop Preferences - Performance, check the 'Legacy Compositing' option. Then create the PSD again.
Thank you. I went into PS, checked the Legacy Compositing option. From LR I clicked "edit in PSD' and resaved (replaced) the files and it's all fixed! Thank you!

You say "...reimported them in LR..." . Do you mean you really do an import of the file modified in PS ? Don't you use the "modified in Photoshop" function of LR ?
Yes, you're correct I imported the PSDs into LR. What is the modified in Photoshop function? Is this the 'edit in Photoshop' option when you right click an image?

Yes Olivia, it allows to directly open a raw file in PS, including LR adjustment applied so far. Then the file generated by PS is automatically imported in LR for further handling. You can even stack with original to reduce clutter.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes, you're correct I imported the PSDs into LR. What is the modified in Photoshop function? Is this the 'edit in Photoshop' option when you right click an image?
No, nothing has changed in Lightroom. What happens is that because Lightroom does not support layers, it reads and shows the composite (flattened) image that is also embedded when you save a layered file in Photoshop. The way that composite image is created has changed, and that apparently contains a bug. That is why using the legacy method fixes this.

No, nothing has changed in Lightroom. What happens is that because Lightroom does not support layers, it reads and shows the composite (flattened) image that is also embedded when you save a layered file in Photoshop. The way that composite image is created has changed, and that apparently contains a bug. That is why using the legacy method fixes this.
Thanks so much John :D Thats really interesting and helpful to know.

I'm glad your issue is resolved, but just to make sure you understand this: there's absolutely no need to export an image as PSD and then import it back to Lightroom after editing it in PS. Instead, use the "Edit in Photoshop" functionality directly in Lightroom, which opens the image in PS, then edit it there and once you're done, hit save and you're edited image goes automatically back to Lightroom. No need to use the import and export modules at all.

Read this: Edit Lightroom Classic CC photos in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back