• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Hello, need a clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbnut

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've been using Lightroom since I got the beta and then 1.0 after Adobe acquired Pixmantec RawShooter. I'm currently using legacy LR 5.7.1, since I didn't feel LR 6 provided anything of value for me, and I didn't didn't purchase a subscription because I had strong objections to the subscription software model and LR 5 supported my Canon EOS 7D Mark II just fine. I knew that when I eventually purchased a new camera I would have to make a decision, incorporate Adobe DNG converter into my workflow, find alternative photo management/processing software, or purchase a subscription from Adobe.

A few months ago I purchased a Canon EOS R3 and so far I've been using the DNG converter, but unsurprisingly, there are a number of drawbacks with that workflow. I've been experimenting with some open source software (digikam and darktable), which I think could address my my needs, but there will be a big learning curve. I've decided its time to try the 20 TB photography plan and Lightroom Classic. I didn't expect the 7 day trial plus 14 day cancellation period would be enough time to fully try/evaluate everything included in the photography plan, so I was planning to get the month-to-month subscription so I could cancel after a few months if necessary. When I looked more closely, however, I discovered there is no month-to-month subscription, just a yearly subscription billed monthly or billed yearly and the total cost is the same whether its billed monthly or yearly. Given that, I would actually be happier paying once a year rather than one a month (less bookkeeping and overhead), but here is my question.

Looking at Adobe's cancellation terms it appears that if I get the annual plan billed upfront and cancel early (but after 14 days) I get no refund, whereas if I get the annual plan billed monthly I will be refunded 50% of the remaining balance if I cancel. It seems strange that Adobe would penalize people for prepaying.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that I will get a refund if cancel the "pay monthly" photography plan, but won't get a refund if I cancel the "pay upfront" photography plan?

I would suggest double checking with customer services on that, because then you've got some comeback if they give you the wrong information, whereas if we get it wrong...

But a possible alternative for you... Amazon often discounts the year's membership when they do a sale like Prime Day or Black Friday... and the latter is only a few days. If I was in your shoes, I'd be tempted to wait and see if they do a deal again this year, because if they do, you'd get a year's use at a very reasonable price, and that would be plenty of time to explore. So many new features have been added since LR5!

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that I will get a refund if cancel the "pay monthly" photography plan, but won't get a refund if I cancel the "pay upfront" photography plan?
I think it should be noted that Adobe only sells ANNUAL subscriptions. You agree to pay the full term up front or in monthly increments. If you stop paying the monthly increments, you are still obligated to the annual subscription. In the pay monthly case, you are in breach of contract. If Adobe requires you to pay half of the remaining balance, then that is a concession on their part but you are still obligated to immediately pay the portion of the remaining balance..

If you agree to the subscription and pay annually, you have full use of the product for the full term and can only stop by not renewing at the end of the term..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would suggest double checking with customer services on that, because then you've got some comeback if they give you the wrong information, whereas if we get it wrong...

But a possible alternative for you... Amazon often discounts the year's membership when they do a sale like Prime Day or Black Friday... and the latter is only a few days. If I was in your shoes, I'd be tempted to wait and see if they do a deal again this year, because if they do, you'd get a year's use at a very reasonable price, and that would be plenty of time to explore. So many new features have been added since LR5!
Thanks for the suggestions Victoria.

I did an online chat with an Adobe service agent today, but it was pretty clear that person was just reading from a script. They kept repeating the same information over and over, and couldn't give me any explanation for why Adobe is incentivizing people to pay monthly rather then prepay for a year by making it less costly to cancel on the monthly payment plan than on the prepay plan. They did refer me to this page, which seems more definitive and comprehensive than the cancellation terms page I mentioned before.

I had no idea these software plans were sold on Amazon. I took a look today, and while they have a pre-black-friday 20% off CC All Apps, there is nothing for photography plan yet. I'll have to keep checking.

I noticed, however, that the photography plan is listed on Amazon as a "1-month Subscription with auto-renewal" (in contrast with the "Annual contract, paid monthly" on the Adobe site). The Amazon customer questions & answers says you can cancel at the end of any month without penalty if you purchase from Amazon, but those answers aren't from Adobe. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Amazon is selling a real monthly subscription, not an annual contract, billed monthly?

I think it should be noted that Adobe only sells ANNUAL subscriptions. You agree to pay the full term up front or in monthly increments. If you stop paying the monthly increments, you are still obligated to the annual subscription. In the pay monthly case, you are in breach of contract. If Adobe requires you to pay half of the remaining balance, then that is a concession on their part but you are still obligated to immediately pay the portion of the remaining balance..

If you agree to the subscription and pay annually, you have full use of the product for the full term and can only stop by not renewing at the end of the term..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right, I missed stated my question. You don't get a refund either way, but with the monthly payment option, you only have to pay 50% of the remaining balance when you cancel. That means Adobe is incentivizing people towards monthly payment rather than prepay, which seems counter-intuitive to me.

I had no idea these software plans were sold on Amazon. I took a look today, and while they have a pre-black-friday 20% off CC All Apps, there is nothing for photography plan yet. I'll have to keep checking.
Good plan, I've picked up an annual subscription and applied it to my Adobe Account probably around 3 times now, usually it's been around a 30% discount. If we notice one, we'll announce it on the Forums.

Interesting. In the UK they're still doing annual prepaid, but on Amazon.com, the annual prepaid they usually discount is now listed as "currently unavailable".

I suspect they're switching over to the same pricing as they use for the Windows and Mac app stores, which you've just reminded me do offer a monthly subscription. And, very helpfully, I see Jeff Tranberry (Adobe manager) replied to a question about cancelling here: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1Z1CFSE7KCCNM/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

So yes, if you order through Adobe, it's annual contract even if it's paid monthly. For the various App Stores including Amazon, it's a month-to-month sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back