• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Hello LR people; I'm new to this forum; been using LR 6 for several years, and now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwd4la

a KEY Q? for me is ; Can I still find upgrade to Lightroom 6.2.1
a bit of my personal bg here, by way of introduction....
I was born and raised in southern Manitoba; attended college, graduating in 1973 (Advertising Arts) majoring in photography. I worked for 30 years in television, 10 years as a photographer, videographer. Retired five years ago, I continue to reside in Lethbridge Alberta. I have a background in art, graphic design and photography, as well as documentary production and (more recently with) oil painting and wood carving.
I shoot in a variety of styles; lots of landscapes, street photography, flowers, some design and abstracts. I've shot 16mm and 35mm film, 4"x5"
I finally went digital in 2004, when my film camera needed repairs. I've shot with Nikons, Canons, Minoltas, Sony, Lumix over the years, but my go-to system is my Pentax K3ii
As for software, along with LR and Adobe PSE2018, I also use, PhotoScapeX, nik Collection, Photo Impact X3 (formerly Ulead X), and I've explored a bit with Topaz AI suite.
I have called upon my rather diverse interests and techniques to share the design traits found in my manner of “seeing” the world around me.

"every day is filled with new things just waiting to be discovered"

Follow me " 45pictures
and my handle @45pictures
on these platforms
Pinterest
Instagram
(and every so often) Twitter
websites www.45pictures.com and www.pbase.com/gwd

and I am still on Flickr too! G Wayne Dwornik’s albums | Flickr

Welcome to the forum. The answer to your question is, "It depends". LR6 is considered a legacy app and support for that app has been discontinued. The last update was several years ago to releases v6.14. It is that version that you would want to upgrade to. If you have a valid license, Adobe will provide you with a special upgrade link so that you could download the update. You ill need to contact them to get that link.

However there are some caveats. The LR6 installer is 32bit. If your operating system does no longer support 32 bit apps (as is in the case of MacOS Catalina), you will not be able to install the update.

So what OS platform are you running Lightroom on? We can more specific with that bit of info.

Last edited:
My apologies for not including that info. I have been running on an iMac with macOS 10.12: Sierra (Fuji). I was going to upgrade to Catalina, but I have read and heard of many buggy issues. So my plan is to upgrade only to High Sierra. I've some other apps running 32 bit as well. ~gwd

My apologies for not including that info. I have been running on an iMac with macOS 10.12: Sierra (Fuji). I was going to upgrade to Catalina, but I have read and heard of many buggy issues. So my plan is to upgrade only to High Sierra. I've some other apps running 32 bit as well. ~gwd
Before attempting any OS upgrades , Contact Adobe and get a link for the last update LR6.14) Once you have the last LR6 update in place you can proceed to upgrade the OS.

Do keep in mind that LR6 is very ancient and at some point new technology will render it useless. For that reason you need to consider your exit strategy.

Terrific! Thanks InDeeD! Yes, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and move to their subscription service, although I detest the idea.

I was going to upgrade to Catalina, but I have read and heard of many buggy issues. So my plan is to upgrade only to High Sierra. I've some other apps running 32 bit as well. ~gwd

One thing that I missed Catalina in now at version 10.15.5 and is very stable. I would no longer consider it buggy and suitable for commercial use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried to upgrade my MACbook 2009 from 10.11.6 so I could move from LR6 to Classic. Unfortunately, when I upgraded I hit a known issue with older MAC's and performance on the whole OS was slow. I had to use Time Machine to downgrade back to 10.11.6. Since it's only my travel laptop, LR6 will suffice.

So, my advise is before you upgrade:
  • Check the age of your iMac and see if you may have issues
  • If you are not already, setup Time Machine. It's a life safer

I tried to upgrade my MACbook 2009 from 10.11.6 so I could move from LR6 to Classic. Unfortunately, when I upgraded I hit a known issue with older MAC's and performance on the whole OS was slow. I had to use Time Machine to downgrade back to 10.11.6. Since it's only my travel laptop, LR6 will suffice.

So, my advise is before you upgrade:
  • Check the age of your iMac and see if you may have issues
  • If you are not already, setup Time Machine. It's a life safer
There is a cut off point on Macs. Some early legacy models can't not support Catalina fully due to hardware. Hence the limitation on updating to Catalina if you have legacy hardware. You could perhaps upgrade to Mojave

Terrific! Thanks InDeeD! Yes, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and move to their subscription service, although I detest the idea.

Today I decided to look in this forum. Do you miss Manitoba? Remember the mosquitos? They are so big they have bones. I wasn't very happy about subscription at first but isn't so bad. I just use LR Classic which is similar LR6 and PS. I don't use cloud storage and I pay for the whole year. As for $9.99 a month ($13.58 for us) a month I spend more in a week at Timmy's getting my daily Extra Large, double - double in week than I do on subscription.

Most of the main competitors like C1 pro, DXO PL3, etc are on an annual upgrade program. You don't have to upgrade every year with those but I think a lot of people do.

You won't recognize LR9.3. If I even dropped Adobe I couldn't go back to LR6 which has nothing do with catalogue compatibility. Just the software alone. There have been so many improvements. Recently they added local Hue adjustments in the brush section. Also Adaptive ISO which changed my workflow significantly.

What's New in Lightroom Classic 9.3 (June 2020)? | The Lightroom Queen

Here is a list from LR7. This list is not complete as more has been added since Victoria posted this.

whats-new-lightroom-classic-since-version-6

To get all the details you can start here and work your way back. Scroll down to - What's new in Lightroom Classic 2017 Release..

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/blog/page/10/

I see you have websites but just thought I'd mention that you also get Portfolio with the plan which is integrated with LR. Portfolio via SmugMug is $180 a year alone. C1 Pro had an offer last month. Portfolio free for one year but it is not integrated with the software. What do you after building your site and the promotion runs out. $180 a year to maintain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back