• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

HEIF Apple iOS and Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwsmart

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi All

Just been reading about Apple's intended move from JPEG to HEIF for iOS 11. I understand that iOS will export to JPEG but just wondered if anyone had heard if Lightroom will directly support HEIF?

Thanks

Jim

Adobe has said nothing publicly, and no-one who has heard anything in private could say anything about it.

That said if it does amount to more than an internal format - it appears to send JPEGs to other apps - then I would expect LR would support it in some way.

John

Adobe has said nothing publicly, and no-one who has heard anything in private could say anything about it.

That said if it does amount to more than an internal format - it appears to send JPEGs to other apps - then I would expect LR would support it in some way.

John

Thanks John. There seems to be some talk of HEIF replacing JPEG as a more modern and powerful alternative but no doubt only time will show if it does that.

Exactly, time. JPEG2000 was supposed to replace JPEG, wasn't it?

Apple will be using HEIF/HEVC and that's a lot of devices in one swoop. 500px is considering it. The various mobile-device connected sites like Instagram are probably thinking about it as well. These days adoption by individual users (like me sending a photo to you, or just posting up to this site, etc) may not be that important. The storage, quality and bandwidth reduction of HEIF/HEVC make it quite attractive to those outfits since they can gain financially from it. The end user of an iPhone might not even see it; it would all be done in the background. I suspect that the prevalence of online exchange and storage may drive its use more than previous attempts to move beyond JPEG.

But I expect this will be yet another opportunity missed by camera manufacturers, even though we'd get storage, quality, and wifi transmission benefits from it. I don't know that the processors could handle it, and of course they'd have to pay. But if you use RAW it won't matter.

Meanwhile, on macOS the beta of Graphic Converter has HEIF support for import, and will have export as well, probably by the release of 10.13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back