• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Heavily Edited Image but all Develop sliders are zero’d

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham_2

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi everyone

I’m reasonably new to Lightroom but have edited a lot of images over the last 6 months. Today I have been reviewing some favorite edits and came across one quite heavily edited image. The strange thing is that when I go to the develop module for this image, all of the develop sliders are at zero. But the preview is showing the image as I left it i.e heavily edited. The sliders for this image would have been all over the place when I finished with it last, for sure.

i checked through all my other edited photos and sure enough the sliders are where I left them and what you would expect to see on a finished edit .

But for this one it’s the finished edit showing visually in the preview and develop model, yet the slider positions don’t look like started work on it yet.

seems quite odd and not something I’ve come across before.

The advantage is that it seems I can now lift the shadows even further and go beyond what was possible on my first edit . but it does seem a little odd .

This image is syncing across to Lightroom cc on my phone and I may have tweaked it there on my phone perhaps, if that may have caused a glitch back on Lightroom classic.

thanks in advance of any help !

What kind of image is this? Did you export edited images (as jpeg, for example) and then import them again? If so, then what you see is normal. When you export an image, the edits are ‘baked into the pixels’. Those edits are no longer changeable and so the sliders are all at zero when you import such an image again.

What does the history for the edits look like? Could you have by accident clicked RESET the last time you were in?

What kind of image is this? Did you export edited images (as jpeg, for example) and then import them again? If so, then what you see is normal. When you export an image, the edits are ‘baked into the pixels’. Those edits are no longer changeable and so the sliders are all at zero when you import such an image again.

Thanks Johan. It's still a DNG and hasn't been exported. But these edits had been assigned to a snapshot. When I look at other snapshots, the faders show in their 'slid' positions, as you would expect for an edit.

But now I think back to how I did this edit .... part 1. firstly I highlighted the upper part of the image using the adjustment tool brush , and carried out some extensive edits to only that part of the image using the 'mask' sliders. Then, part 2. I highlighted the lower part of the image (again with adjustment tool brush) and edited only the lower part of the image using the 'mask' sliders. So perhaps because the sliders were only moved when areas were masked (and none for the image as a whole ), this probably explains why they are all showing at zero for the whole image ?

I hadn't thought of this last night when posting, but makes sense to me now

Thanks again

What does the history for the edits look like? Could you have by accident clicked RESET the last time you were in?

Thanks Paul. No, there's no rest and the image presents as heavily edited. I think I may have realised what happened. As posted above also :

Now I think back to how I did this edit .... part 1. firstly I highlighted the upper part of the image using the adjustment tool brush , and carried out some extensive edits to only that part of the image using the 'mask' sliders. Then, part 2. I highlighted the lower part of the image (again with adjustment tool brush) and edited only the lower part of the image using the 'mask' sliders. So perhaps because the sliders were only moved when areas were masked (and none for the image as a whole ), this probably explains why they are all showing at zero for the whole image ?

I hadn't thought of this last night when posting, but makes sense to me now. Unless there's something about this that I don't know, I think this makes logical sense.

Thanks again

Your idea of the problem seems to hold water. If true, then in the Develop Module you should be able to click on one of the two targeted adjustment "pins" that represent the adjustments made to the upper or lower half of the image. Once such a "pin" is selected the adjustment brush sliders should show their moved positions.

If that doesn't pan out, pleas send screen shot of the history panel for the image in question.

So perhaps because the sliders were only moved when areas were masked (and none for the image as a whole ), this probably explains why they are all showing at zero for the whole image
But these adjustments should show up in history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back