• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Healing Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
The clone and heal tools I had more or less worked out. However, the new content aware tool sounds good, but I couldn't really get it to do what I thought it did. I'm sure there is a good tutorial somewhere. Does anyone know where?

The new "content aware delete" tool either gives you a good result or doesn't. In my experience, more the later than the former. It usually does get rid of the cirlced object but the replacement pixels more often than not (in my experience) do not blend well with the surroundings making it obvious that some "repair" was done at the location.

For a tutorial, see the Lightroom Qeeen's most recent "Missing FAQ's" book

I've been using this tool quite a bit. It's pretty great for skin issues, and generally works quite well for ground/texture. If you get a poor result, hold down CTRL or Option (system dependent) click and drag over an area of your image you want the AI to use. It seems to work pretty well doing that. I've found sometimes this can leave weird artifacts but using a spot heal on those leftover works well to put final touches.

In one case, I found that an object was replaced by the surrounds as one would expect but it was of a slightly lighter exposure making the outline of the original object obvious. Just something to keep an eye on. I suppose this could happen where the selected region crosses a background with high contrast zones.

BobT - Uisng Heal or Clone or Content Aware Remove mode?

Does your image also have any masks on it?

BobT - Uisng Heal or Clone or Content Aware Remove mode?

Does your image also have any masks on it?
Yes it has. Since then, I took a virtual copy, reset it and didn't have any issue with the Content Aware tool.

it gets complicated when the same image has both healing and AI Masks. Here is a summary of the some of the sticking points that trip people up

The notes below all relate to using one of the AI masking tools (Sky, Subject, background, etc.) in conjunction with one of the Healing tools. When you do this, in some cases order matters and in some cases you will need to re-compute your AI Mask. These interactions are somewhat complex but can be summarized in these 4 rules:

Rule 1 – When an AI mask is computed (either initially or re-computed) it uses the pixels as shown on the screen at that time, including any healing done prior to the mask being computed, to determine the area selected for the mask.

Rule 2 – Once created, the area selected by an AI mask is not altered unless you re-compute the mask. Sometimes this happens automatically, sometimes not. For example you clone out a "Subject" after the Subject mask was created. The area selected by the subject mask is still selected (and adjusted) by the subject mask even though the subject was cloned out and is no longer there.

Rule 3 – If different content is placed into an area currently selected by an AI Mask, the Mask adjustments will be applied to those pixels as those places on the image are still selected by the mask.

Rule 4 – If Pixels are copied from an area selected by an AI mask to an area not selected by that mask, those pixels will lose the adjustments applied through the mask as they are no longer in an area selected by the mask.

Re-compute an AI Mask to have it use Heal Tool changes that were made after the AI Mask was last re-computed.

How do you re-compute an AI mask?
To re-compute an AI Mask, go to the Develop Module and click on the “Settings” menu. This is not “Catalog Settings”, and the menu item only exists when you are in the Develop Module. Then select “Update AI Settings” and it will re-compute the active image.

it gets complicated when the same image has both healing and AI Masks. Here is a summary of the some of the sticking points that trip people up

The notes below all relate to using one of the AI masking tools (Sky, Subject, background, etc.) in conjunction with one of the Healing tools. When you do this, in some cases order matters and in some cases you will need to re-compute your AI Mask. These interactions are somewhat complex but can be summarized in these 4 rules:

Rule 1 – When an AI mask is computed (either initially or re-computed) it uses the pixels as shown on the screen at that time, including any healing done prior to the mask being computed, to determine the area selected for the mask.

Rule 2 – Once created, the area selected by an AI mask is not altered unless you re-compute the mask. Sometimes this happens automatically, sometimes not. For example you clone out a "Subject" after the Subject mask was created. The area selected by the subject mask is still selected (and adjusted) by the subject mask even though the subject was cloned out and is no longer there.

Rule 3 – If different content is placed into an area currently selected by an AI Mask, the Mask adjustments will be applied to those pixels as those places on the image are still selected by the mask.

Rule 4 – If Pixels are copied from an area selected by an AI mask to an area not selected by that mask, those pixels will lose the adjustments applied through the mask as they are no longer in an area selected by the mask.

Re-compute an AI Mask to have it use Heal Tool changes that were made after the AI Mask was last re-computed.
Any chance of summarising this into a simple rule of thumb for us dummies that will work in most cases, e.g. do this before that etc?

That was the summary!

If you want it simpler:

1) do cloning/healing before creating masks
2) If you do healing/cloning and wind up with "ghost" content, recompute your masks.

That was the summary!

If you want it simpler:

1) do cloning/healing before creating masks
2) If you do healing/cloning and wind up with "ghost" content, recompute your masks.
Perfect! Thanks.

The notes below all relate to using one of the AI masking tools (Sky, Subject, background, etc.) in conjunction with one of the Healing tools. When you do this, in some cases order matters and in some cases you will need to re-compute your AI Mask.
This seems to be a departure from previous guidance that it didn't matter the order edits were made since, in the end, LrC determines how to apply them. In other words, we need to follow those rules now to get the best results; correct?

To re-compute an AI Mask, go to the Develop Module and click on the “Settings” menu. This is not “Catalog Settings”, and the menu item only exists when you are in the Develop Module. Then select “Update AI Settings” and it will re-compute the active image.
Due to a bug, Settings > Update AI Settings is almost always greyed out. Two workarounds:

1. In the filmstrip, right-click one of the selected photos and do Develop Settings > Update AI Settings.

2. In Library Grid view, select the photos and do Photo > Develop Settings > Update AI Settings.

Adobe doesn't consider this a bug.

Due to a bug, Settings > Update AI Settings is almost always greyed out. Two workarounds:

1. In the filmstrip, right-click one of the selected photos and do Develop Settings > Update AI Settings.

2. In Library Grid view, select the photos and do Photo > Develop Settings > Update AI Settings.

Adobe doesn't consider this a bug.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back