• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Heal and Clone just dont seem to be working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Gilp

Timbo
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Can anyone help ? I am trying to get to grips with heal and clone features. In particular at the moment heal. But it just doesnt sem to work. I get an area of the image i want to use and that has a directional arrow to the area i want to heal. An irregular shape will also appear ob the area i want to treat but no matter what i do the tool just doesnt seem to do what it is meant to. I have opacity on 100% and i am clicking on heal but i dont seem to be able to trigger the action and it just stays as it appears on the original.

What is the Flow setting?

I dont have a flow slider showing at all in the right panel in Develop tab. Should i have ?
No, sorry. I was thinking about the adjustment brush. Can you post a screenshot that shows the activated brush and the settings?

Can anyone help ? I am trying to get to grips with heal and clone features. In particular at the moment heal. But it just doesnt sem to work. I get an area of the image i want to use and that has a directional arrow to the area i want to heal. An irregular shape will also appear ob the area i want to treat but no matter what i do the tool just doesnt seem to do what it is meant to. I have opacity on 100% and i am clicking on heal but i dont seem to be able to trigger the action and it just stays as it appears on the original.

What actually happens when you hit the "done" button in the lower right of the screen?

Here you go. Nothing happens when i press done apart from the circles disappearing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 17.08.28.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-28 at 17.08.28.png
    947.3 KB · Views: 230
Call me defeatist but i have pretty much given up on this now. You have to click away from any of the circles - other wise you get the hand . Then it doesnt fill in in any uniform way. Then it creates an irregular shape. Then it take the source from wherever it randomly chooses. Often out of the field of view. I bet i have spent two hors or so becoming increasingly frustrated.

Here you go. Nothing happens when i press done apart from the circles disappearing.
The size of the brush is very small, and the feathering is set to 100%. That means there is hardly an area that is fully replaced. Set the brush to a larger size and set feathering to 20% or so. Then try again.

Yes that i must admit is better but the source for the cloning can be off the screen and try to pick up and place where i want is impossible because the line disappears as soon as i try to move away from the area i want to replace. I just cannot believe it can be so difficult. But thanks so much for your patience.

Yes that i must admit is better but the source for the cloning can be off the screen and try to pick up and place where i want is impossible because the line disappears as soon as i try to move away from the area i want to replace. I just cannot believe it can be so difficult. But thanks so much for your patience.
That is a different matter entirely. You said it wasn’t working at all. Normally you let Lightroom pick the source automatically. If you want to do that yourself, then hold down the Cmd (Mac) of Ctrl (PC) key. See Shortcuts for the Spot Removal Tool in Lightroom

Thanks Johan. You are quite correct thanks to your help it is actually working now but it is creating a sort of outline which again it randomly picks the same outline somewhere else on the image and even if i wanted to outline i dont seem to have any control where it picks it from. None of the youtune tutorials seem to help me either.

Thanks Johan. You are quite correct thanks to your help it is actually working now but it is creating a sort of outline which again it randomly picks the same outline somewhere else on the image and even if i wanted to outline i dont seem to have any control where it picks it from. None of the youtune tutorials seem to help me either.
Like I said, that is normal behavior. Lightroom picks the source itself. If you want to change the source, just drag and drop it to where you want it.

Why does it creat a pattern or silhouette though ? Plus if the source area is off the image you have zoomed in on how can you drag it at all ?

Tried that. Maybe the image I have chosen is a difficult one to start with. Why does an outline occur ? Is it possible just to use two circles and the brush . The template outline I find annoyingly.

Tried that. Maybe the image I have chosen is a difficult one to start with. Why does an outline occur ? Is it possible just to use two circles and the brush . The template outline I find annoyingly.
The outline occurs so you can see what has been brushed, and what source material is chosen. That is the difference between brushing and clicking. Clicking produces two circles (source and destination), brushing produces two outlines of the brushed area (source and destination).

Also you can also CMD-click and then move the mouse to select the source that you desire. By holding the mouse down you can slowly move the source and wait a bit to see if you get a good match.

-louie

As an aside, your profile indicates you use LR Classic. I do as well.
I use LR to do the "easy" spot heal and clones. I use Photoshop CC to do the more difficult ones.
I can get in and out of PS faster than I can do a complex heal or clone in LR.

The outline occurs so you can see what has been brushed, and what source material is chosen. That is the difference between brushing and clicking. Clicking produces two circles (source and destination), brushing produces two outlines of the brushed area (source and destination).
Thanks that is helpful. Is it clicking on “Done” that applies the changes ? I think I was clicking out of frustration to apply which created a number of circles but no real change. Thanks for your patience and the advice .

Thanks that is helpful. Is it clicking on “Done” that applies the changes ? I think I was clicking out of frustration to apply which created a number of circles but no real change. Thanks for your patience and the advice .
Yes, click 'Done' when you are finished with the tool. You don't have to click 'Done' if you are finished with one spot and want to retouch another spot. Or press the 'Enter' key. Or select another tool. Or click 'Close' in the right panel. Or press the 'Q' key. :)

Thanks as usual Johan. You are a god send. I will go away and practice but will no doubt will be back with another straightforward question !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back