• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

HDR Merge crashes LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcschlotz

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Has anyone else experienced this? Curious to know if anyone has noticed this. I have started a report on the bug reporting url for Adobe. HDR Merging 2 raw Sony A7RIV files in latest LR Classic with any ghosting option selected causes a LR crash. It will usually finish the merge but as it brings back up the library grid the program crashes. Tried doing the same in photoshop using bridge to merge the two files in ACR and get the same crash. It works in both LR and Photoshop/Bridge if NO GHOSTING options are selected.

I can't test (different camera system, works fine on my raws which are, I confess, half the size of yours!) but it does sound like a bug, so good you're logged it!

Lightroom creates several temporary files in Working Storage. Working Storage uses the free space on your primary disk. Lack of free space on the primary disk can cause Lightroom, your swapfile and other app using working storage to run out of room and crate. Could this be your problem? 60+ megapixels per merge file can clog up a small primary disk. Could this be your problem?

Lightroom creates several temporary files in Working Storage. Working Storage uses the free space on your primary disk. Lack of free space on the primary disk can cause Lightroom, your swapfile and other app using working storage to run out of room and crate. Could this be your problem? 60+ megapixels per merge file can clog up a small primary disk. Could this be your problem?

HD free space on primary drive is 300 GB. LR Cache size set to 50 GB. Don't think this is the problem. Suspecting it has to do with what a HDR Merge w/ghosting requires for two large files and it stepping on LR's main memory management requirements. Redid the test but using the APS-C setting on the A7RIV which yields 27 Mb files vs 62 MB and it worked without a problem. So the issue does seem to be squarely related to file size of the two photos being merged. Adobe responded to me regarding the bug submittal asking if they can have the two files in order to try and duplicate. I sent them a link for both the 62MB and 27MB versions along with the details of my MBP I'm running LR Classic on.

Adobe just got back to me. They have confirmed the bug in both LR Classic and ACR. Now the wait begins...
@mcschlotz

Do you know if they fixed the bug? I do a fair amount of bracket shots and am considering switching to the A7R IV.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

@mcschlotz

Do you know if they fixed the bug? I do a fair amount of bracket shots and am considering switching to the A7R IV.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
The original post was over a year old and referred to LrC version 9.1. If you are on v10.3, I think you will be OK. Bugs like this are usuayllfixed by the next decimal release (9.2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back