• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

HDR final image location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley King

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I do a lot of HDR processing in Lightroom. I'll shoot 50 bracketed sets of three photos. Lightroom then presents me with an HDR result which it will sometimes put at the end of the filmstrip. At other times it will place the results within the bracketed photos. I can't figure what to do to get the same result each time I run a batch.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Check the sort order of the collection/folder that you start from. If the sort order is something like "Added Order" or maybe "Edit Time", then the DNG will be added to the end of the Filmstrip, but if the sort order is something like "Capture Time" or "File Name" then the DNG should be added next to one of the bracketed images (because it will inherit its metadata, including capture time and file name).

If you sometimes work out of the "Previous Import" collection, rather than say a folder, the default sort order for that special collection is "Added Order". Although you can then change the order to say "Capture Time", I don't believe that the change is "sticky", i.e. I'm pretty sure the next import it will revert back to "Added Order".

LR places the HDR DNG file in the same folder as the source images. The OS has no concept of sorted order. The sorted order is determined by the app displaying the files. It matters not that this app is Finder or LR. sort order is determined by the settings of the app. At the bottom of the Grid view, the toolbar will indicate the current sorted order of the images in the grid view.

Thanks Jim and Cletus,

I haven't been working out of the "previous import" folder so the problem isn't there. I'm excited to do the shoot today so that I can look at the results from "sort order".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back