• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

HDR final image location

Ashley King

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I do a lot of HDR processing in Lightroom. I'll shoot 50 bracketed sets of three photos. Lightroom then presents me with an HDR result which it will sometimes put at the end of the filmstrip. At other times it will place the results within the bracketed photos. I can't figure what to do to get the same result each time I run a batch.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Check the sort order of the collection/folder that you start from. If the sort order is something like "Added Order" or maybe "Edit Time", then the DNG will be added to the end of the Filmstrip, but if the sort order is something like "Capture Time" or "File Name" then the DNG should be added next to one of the bracketed images (because it will inherit its metadata, including capture time and file name).

Ashley King

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the help. I'm shooting tomorrow so I'll have the opportunity to look at the sort order. I can't say that I've ever changed it but what you say does make sense.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
If you sometimes work out of the "Previous Import" collection, rather than say a folder, the default sort order for that special collection is "Added Order". Although you can then change the order to say "Capture Time", I don't believe that the change is "sticky", i.e. I'm pretty sure the next import it will revert back to "Added Order".

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
LR places the HDR DNG file in the same folder as the source images. The OS has no concept of sorted order. The sorted order is determined by the app displaying the files. It matters not that this app is Finder or LR. sort order is determined by the settings of the app. At the bottom of the Grid view, the toolbar will indicate the current sorted order of the images in the grid view.

Ashley King

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thanks Jim and Cletus,

I haven't been working out of the "previous import" folder so the problem isn't there. I'm excited to do the shoot today so that I can look at the results from "sort order".

Ashley King

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi Jim and Cletus,

My problem had everything to do with "sort order". I see it clearly now. Amazing what hindsight and a little help from friends can do. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.