• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Has the Photography Plan changed? Did Classic just double in price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linwood Ferguson

Linwood Ferguson
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I was looking up something for someone, and found I can no longer find the (US) $10/mo photography plan to includes Classic.

When I look at the "all plans" I see a "Lightroom CC Plan (1TB)" that is $10/mo with only CC, or a photography plan that includes CC + Classic and 1TB; there used to be a small-storage version of that for $10.

Is it no longer available?

Did my price for Classic just double?

Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Actually the connected nature of forums, for stuff outside of technical realms is rather recent. Think about it, Adobe is more than 30 years old. Forums, pricing knowledge, connected users is really less than 5 years for a majority of users.
Let's hope the "Creative Cloud" creator has discovered forums and social media.

How much they care... well, who knows. But I think we are drifting off topic a bit.

For what it is worth, I just went to Adobe, B&H and Amazon and all had the PS + Classic + CC + 20G at (about) $10/mo. Oddly Amazon had a teacher/student version which was the same price, not discounted. That was from S. Florida. I then used a system (entirely different ID, everything) from Chicago and got the same thing.

I did notice (and maybe this was already said) -- it advertises as "Lightroom" and "Lightroom Classic"... the "CC" or "Creative Cloud" does not appear on the "Choose the plan that is right for you" section, though at the top it says "Get the Creative Cloud Photography plan". Apparently the plan is "CC" but the products are all not. Though for reasons a bit unclear there it appeared with awful icons for PS and LR. I was on a W2016 server so that might be related.

Let's hope the "Creative Cloud" creator has discovered forums and social media.

I did notice (and maybe this was already said) -- it advertises as "Lightroom" and "Lightroom Classic"... the "CC" or "Creative Cloud" does not appear on the "Choose the plan that is right for you" section, though at the top it says "Get the Creative Cloud Photography plan". Apparently the plan is "CC" but the products are all not. Though for reasons a bit unclear there it appeared with awful icons for PS and LR.

I have noticed this for some time. They are behaving like the auto companies have done - advertise the product that is not selling well, and maybe there will be a boost in sales.
I really feel that they are currently working with pretty junior marketing folks who are not really knowledgeable of the market.
They are taking a Marketing 101 approach to a difficult problem.

Adobe is not positioning their storage is just cloud storage, but as part of a photographic system including synchronization across devices, and (though I think more in hazy vague promises than commitments) functionality built into the cloud specific to photos using AI such as automated categorization. And for that they (a) require it be THEIR storage, and (b) charge more.

Whether they can make this work out, whether they can actually communicate a value proposition to people for it or not, remains to be seen.
There is clearly value in a photographic system that includes sync across devices. However, and this is important, cloud storage these days is a commodity. Aside from differences in upload and download speed, there are no other ways to compete except price. Price becomes all important, That is true over many industries. Why Adobe doesn't appreciate this distinction, or else think that the "system" completely overrides the commodity aspect, that is hard to understand. Very hard.

That all said, I seem to recall that the Lightroom subscription model has been very successful for them overall. And that's an argument for not changing management. Nonetheless, nothing is forever, certainly not in fast-changing markets. Adobe really needs to do some finely sliced customer analysis, to see what % of customers actually pay for additional cloud storage, for how many months until they switch to a less expensive plan, etc. It also would not kill them to do some focus groups or large scale customer surveys, and test various issues.
I am completely aware that price testing is done in many markets. I used to be involved in magazines for example, and frequently parts of the country would get a different price for the same magazine at retail, to see how (if) it impacted sales. Price sensitivity testing. it's perfectly legal, unfortunately.

But somehow doing it on a web site that the entire country sees, where you just seem to randomly get different prices, seems (but probably is legally not) different. It feels more slimy, less ethical. That they have been doing it off and on since this thread started shows they clearly have not learned how badly people react. Or they do not care.
It feels slimy to me also. Or else the sign of amateurism and just bumbling incompetence. Those focus group or survey questions should include a few about attitudes to Adobe management.

Phil

There is clearly value in a photographic system that includes sync across devices. However, and this is important, cloud storage these days is a commodity. Aside from differences in upload and download speed, there are no other ways to compete except price. Price becomes all important, That is true over many industries. Why Adobe doesn't appreciate this distinction, or else think that the "system" completely overrides the commodity aspect, that is hard to understand. Very hard.

I do not mean to imply I understand fully, but I do think they have a vision of it being more than a commodity, specifically not JUST storage, but that when you upload images there, things happen beyond sync. An example that may happen is automatic tagging, facial recognition, etc. Or maybe not. There's a lot they COULD do, for example they could analyze your edits, and teach LR's "auto" so it is not generic but the way you edit (if there was "a" way you edit, which of course there is not a singular one).

If (emphasis on "IF") they have a vision like this, it behooves them to require you use their cloud. And it becomes a distinction among all the various cloud storage provides as it is not storage, it is processing.

I hope they have a vision. I wish they were better at sharing it.

do they really think within a few hours it will not make the news world wide that they have new (and various) pricing up?
That's just it though. It didn't. We've been discussing it for months without the press noticing. They just got cocky.

However other photo editting product companies have noticed and are using "fear" advertizing to persuade LR users to migrate to their own products.

Not all LR users or potential users will research the "true " state of the pricing of LR but will only remember the suspicion that Adobe cannot be trusted on product pricing or avail ability. Mac users that used to use Aperture are already sensitised to the fickleness of SW developers.

What ever the outcome it certainly has frightened me away. I recently posted for help in the non subscription forum and received helpful advice.
But my iMac is getting older now and I just do not trust Adobe.In fact its getting scary out there so many companies going subscription.Looks like the future for me is to buy another Mac and live with the built in stuff.

That is sad Rob, especially considering nothing's actually changed. If we were afraid of everything that could possibly happen to us, we'd never get out of bed in the morning, and then we'd miss out on all the good stuff too.

True enough Victoria. But I do get out of bed and also I am careful with my pension pot. I want to enjoy my own money. No it hasn't increased.
Maybe they never will double the rate but the damage is done. They have highlighted a possibility and played right into the scaremongers hands.
I will stay with 6.14 as long as possible then find something else.Yes it is sad so many programmes going subscription and it hits the OAP's hard.
Rob

Oh wow where do you live? Guess your not used to our English short hand.

Yes it is Old Age Pensioner. OAP sounds kinder don't you think.

Rob

I think you earned the right to say it long version

I just do not trust Adobe.In fact its getting scary out there so many companies going subscription.Looks like the future for me is to buy another Mac and live with the built in stuff.

So, and please take this as hoping to encourage thought not argument, but it sounds like you have a subscription to Mac's. You buy one, wait a few years, buy another. Sure, the payment due date is not cast in stone, but you do not seem concerned that it will be a recurring expense.

Other than being more frequent (but much smaller in size), how is a monthly fee different really?

Please... I realize there are differences, one ends a service immediately, one keeps running until random chance breaks it, one is a month, one is years. I get all that, it is just that despite all technology seeming to have very short lifetimes and a need to keep paying and pay, we seem to view subscription very differently than buying finite-life items. Why?

As to the OAP part, one might even argue that spreading the cost evenly and predictably makes it easier to plan for. Certainly businesses will generally prefer a predictable fee service than one that is randomly zero then huge and at an unpredictable time.

Postscript: I said at the time, and I say now -- I think Adobe forced it on us in a heavy handed way, and was very misleading on their "indefinite" promise, but taking the "I feel betrayed" out of it, I just have trouble really feeling buying a short term thing is good but subscription is bad for some philosophical reason.

Oh wow where do you live? Guess your not used to our English short hand.

Yes it is Old Age Pensioner. OAP sounds kinder don't you think.

Rob

I am outside Boston :)
After your post and @Zenon I looked up this slang. Seems like British phrase.

Go Bruins.
Lol. Actually I was a Caps fan. The NHL made it to hard to follow an out of market team so I follow none now.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Two countries separated by a common language....
In high school I did a biking trip to Spain. We had a young lady from California who spoke Valley Girl in the group. At one stop she met a guy from London with a really thick accent. They could not understand each other in English so ended up talking Spanish all evening. It was very funny.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I do not mean to imply I understand fully, but I do think they have a vision of it being more than a commodity, specifically not JUST storage, but that when you upload images there, things happen beyond sync. An example that may happen is automatic tagging, facial recognition, etc. Or maybe not. There's a lot they COULD do, for example they could analyze your edits, and teach LR's "auto" so it is not generic but the way you edit (if there was "a" way you edit, which of course there is not a singular one).

If (emphasis on "IF") they have a vision like this, it behooves them to require you use their cloud. And it becomes a distinction among all the various cloud storage provides as it is not storage, it is processing.

I hope they have a vision. I wish they were better at sharing it.
Ferguson,

Amen to what you just said. In some ways, Adobe is being very cautious, never pre-announcing products and features because WHEN (not IF) the schedule slips or some features aren't feasible (sound familiar?) they are embarrassed. I can understand that. What I can't understand, speaking as a product management consultant (my "day job", I get paid by companies to give advice in this sort of issue), is all the confusion and worse they have created with their poor rollout of the Cloud product, and then this professional malfeasance surrounding the pricing trials, or whatever it is.

If they are somehow doing market research and competitive analysis to understand what customers want and need, they are surely keeping that project a big secret.

Phil Burton

However other photo editting product companies have noticed and are using "fear" advertizing to persuade LR users to migrate to their own products.

Not all LR users or potential users will research the "true " state of the pricing of LR but will only remember the suspicion that Adobe cannot be trusted on product pricing or avail ability. Mac users that used to use Aperture are already sensitised to the fickleness of SW developers.
What you are describing is an unforced error by Adobe, a self-inflicted wound.

Phil Burton

Well, after 18 months the Adobe marketing department seems to have dropped the CC.

Well, after 18 months the Adobe marketing department seems to have dropped the CC.
They've dropped the CC across everything except the Creative Cloud app. The apps are basically all CC now so the extra letters were redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back