• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Has LR5 decided to adjust my images when LR 4 did not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replytoken

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
When I import my images (in DNG format), I do not ask LR to make any adjustments, and it has been that way from LR1 to LR4. I upgraded to LR 5 earlier this year, and I just noticed that all of the images that I have imported since the upgrade are showing the "Photo has Develop adjustments" icon (+/- symbol) in the lower right corner of my images. This is a bit annoying as when I am scanning through images in the Library, I sometimes look for the symbol so I can quickly tell if the images has been worked on on the Develop module. Was there a change in the behavior of LR5's importing that is causing it to generate these icons for every image I import? And, is there a quick way to determine what adjustments that the program thinks were made to any of these images? Very frustrating as every past upgrade has gone quite smoothly WRT settings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

P.S. Images are added to the catalog at import, and there should be no other action other than to generate a preview. All naming is handled prior to import.

Ken, no LR5 doesn't make develop adjustments by default, so there are three places to look to find out why your images are being adjusted:

1. Are you inadvertently applying a Develop Preset during import?
2. Have you got "Apply auto tone adjustments" enabled on the Preferences>Presets Tab?
3. If the above 2 are negative, then perhaps you have (presumably inadvertently) changed the default develop settings for a specific camera or ISO setting? To check this, take one of the adjusted images into Develop (but keep the filmstrip open with badges showing so that you can see the develop icon), then press and hold the shift key and the Reset button bottom right changes to "Reset (Adobe)". Click on that button and check the filmstrip....has the develop badge been removed? If so, that's the problem. To restore the Adobe default settings, Develop Menu>Set Default Settings>Restore Adobe Default Settings.

The above are the usual suspects, but if it's none of those three then it'll be head-scratching time! Let us know and we'll think some more.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the detailed response. I have no way to confirm #1, but do not believe that I was applying a DP during import. #2 was negative. And #3 was the issue. So, following up, is there any way for me to determine what default development settings got changed? And, I am assuming that I should also select all of the files impacted and then make the change that you described in #3 above?

Thanks,

--Ken

Other than eyeballing all the develop sliders/tools (should be easy enough to see something that doesn't look like the default position), I suppose you could go and try to find and examine the xmp file which is stored in the Roaming>Adobe>CameraRaw>Defaults sub-folder. The xmp files will open into Wordpad/Notepad and you can try to figure out what setting was changed (I think eyeballing in the Develop module is easier). I just looked in that folder and was surprised to find a few xmp files, some relating to older cameras but some also relating to my current cameras....couldn't remember what they related to (probably increasing NR at higher ISO settings), so reset them all via Preferences>Presets Tab>Reset all default Develop settings, which deletes all the xmp settings.

But yes, you will need to reset all the impacted files.

Will give it a look and see if I can find the change. I just did not know if there could be changes that were not displayed among the sliders. Any suggestions for quickly resetting the impacted files? Can this be done with a sync since they cannot all be selected in the develop module?

--Ken

Unfortunately it needn't be a slider change, it could be a camera calibration profile, a tone curve, Lens Corrections, CA, etc.....but you should still be able to spot that.

In terms of resetting all the affected images, I guess the issue is how you'd identify and thus isolate them. If you can isolate them then simply select all, go into develop, turn on autosync, then do the Adobe Reset. When done, turn off autosync if that's your normal position.

I was hoping to work on this now, but it may have to be later today. I'll report back what I find (and hopefully without more questions or need of instruction).

Thanks again Jim,

--Ken

Unfortunately it needn't be a slider change, it could be a camera calibration profile, a tone curve, Lens Corrections, CA, etc.....but you should still be able to spot that.

In terms of resetting all the affected images, I guess the issue is how you'd identify and thus isolate them. If you can isolate them then simply select all, go into develop, turn on autosync, then do the Adobe Reset. When done, turn off autosync if that's your normal position.

I had a moment to try to compare two files generated by the same camera, and I could not see any differences. I also noticed that some files generated by another camera, which uses DNG as its raw format, were not impacted. It seems like this is going to take more time if I want to understand what happened. Very frustrating!

--Ken

OK, this is getting a bit complicated, and a bit weird. Ignoring the lousy search features of Explorer in W7 (which could only find two folders when asked to search for "Roaming", and neither was what I was looking for), I finally found the AppData setting for Adobe, and then found the files that Jim recommended above. There were two files in the folder - Previous.xmp and Preferences.xmp. I examined both and saw nothing unusual. I then went into the develop module to the Develop menu and reset the Set Default Settings. It asked specifically about one camera model, and I reset it. This created a a new file in the folder entitled Default_..............xmp. I then tried to import an image and still got the symbol upon import!

I then pulled three raw images from different cameras and ran them directly through Adobe's DNG Converter (as opposed to using ImageIngester), all three showed up with the symbol, but the raw files did not show it. I suspected that the newer version of the DNG converter (v.8.6) that I am using is the source of the problem, and after downgrading to v.8.3 the issue seems to have disappeared in the few tests that I just ran.

Is anybody using v.8.6 of the DNG converter and having this problem?

--Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back