• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Has anyone figured out where CC cloud library appears in CC Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dws2384

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Cannot find much information on this online. Hoping we can help each other.

I did the conversion process and added my library in CC (cloud)
I set keep copy of local file and set this to an external HD
I am okay with using CC cloud to store images and do basic edits across devices. my question is this.

1) Say I want to do something in CC Classic thats not available in CC cloud. Where do I find these images?
2) Since I am storing all my images locally as well in CC cloud will CC classic find this link or will it actually download full resolution files for me to edit (this would seem very stupid, especially with my 89mb A7rii files)
3) Right now it seems like a mess because my images are already present in CC classic and now cloud. Im guessing eventually I would have to delete the old CC classic library or im going to have doubles of everything? or is it smart enough to realize these links

Cannot find much information on this online. Hoping we can help each other.

I did the conversion process and added my library in CC (cloud)
I set keep copy of local file and set this to an external HD
I am okay with using CC cloud to store images and do basic edits across devices. my question is this.

1) Say I want to do something in CC Classic thats not available in CC cloud. Where do I find these images?
2) Since I am storing all my images locally as well in CC cloud will CC classic find this link or will it actually download full resolution files for me to edit (this would seem very stupid, especially with my 89mb A7rii files)
3) Right now it seems like a mess because my images are already present in CC classic and now cloud. Im guessing eventually I would have to delete the old CC classic library or im going to have doubles of everything? or is it smart enough to realize these links

1. You don't. use Photoshop CC which can access the could storage and share the image back there. Not sure how good that workflow is yet.
2. No, Classic is not designed to be used this way.
3. Yes, it is a mess.

Tim

1. You don't. use Photoshop CC which can access the could storage and share the image back there. Not sure how good that workflow is yet.
2. No, Classic is not designed to be used this way.
3. Yes, it is a mess.

Tim

Yes, seems like a huge PITA, wish they had of released it when it was not a half-baked product.

So if im understanding this correctly If I want to work in an original in CC classic its going to download the full resolution image from the cloud even though it already resides locally on my machine? Then this file is just in a cache? or where does it go?

The local CC copies are stored inside the catalog on your external hard drive. Whether they are used or not during editing is anyone guess at this stage.

So if im understanding this correctly If I want to work in an original in CC classic its going to download the full resolution image from the cloud even though it already resides locally on my machine? Then this file is just in a cache? or where does it go?

No, you do not understand correctly. Lightroom Classic always works with local copies. If there is an image in the cloud that Lightroom Classic has not downloaded yet, it will do so at the next sync. If Lightroom Classic already has a local copy of the image, it will not download the image again.

Lightroom Classic doesn't use images in the cloud. I don't think it will download anything, you have to export the file from LR CC (Cloud) and import into Classic locally. - I could be wrong though as I haven't looked into it that far yet, maybe they can share file information across their catalogs ?

Lightroom Classic doesn't use images in the cloud. I don't think it will download anything, you have to export the file from LR CC (Cloud) and import into Classic locally. - I could be wrong though as I haven't looked into it that far yet, maybe they can share file information across their catalogs ?
Based on the blog postings, not having installed the software, no you cannot share files between them.

Tim

Lightroom Classic will download every image that is added to a synched collection. So if you add an image to that collection in Lightroom CC, Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom Web, then Lightroom Classic will download it.

Lightroom Classic will download every image that is added to a synched collection. So if you add an image to that collection in Lightroom CC, Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom Web, then Lightroom Classic will download it.
Two asterisks:

* True if you have sync'ing turned on; you can choose to turn it off if you want isolation

* Only one Classic catalog can sync (per account).

Of course, Classic users really should have only one catalog, but I know some do not.

Two asterisks:

* True if you have sync'ing turned on; you can choose to turn it off if you want isolation

* Only one Classic catalog can sync (per account).

Of course, Classic users really should have only one catalog, but I know some do not.

So let me see if I understand this mess.

1. I take a raw file and add it to lightroom CC while choosing to keep a local copy
  2. The raw is backed up to adobe’s servers
  3. In CC I add the raw file to a collection that is synced to Classic
  4. I decide I want to add one of the new selective mask edits.
  5. I open Classic and that file is synced to the collection from CC.
  6. Classic now downloads the raw file to my computer although it is already there from step 1? Or does it just download the smart preview for editing?
  7. This edit is synced back to the photo in CC even though I can’t make changes to this specific mask because its not available there or will CC not even render it at all

Thanks

I'm one of the multiple catalog folks. Reason is I have a single catalog for my personal photos and a second one for all the photos I am cataloging for the Historical Society.

I take a raw file and add it to lightroom CC while choosing to keep a local copy

1. The raw is backed up to adobe’s servers

Yes but... I think terminology is important, it is MOVED to the Cloud, and you get to keep a copy, but the cloud is considered the master. It sounds like nit-picking but it helps to understand a lot of what happens if you think that way. Clients are just momentary views and/or edits of an image, they are unimportant, you can just destroy the client and nothing happens; it is all about the cloud copy.

2. In CC I add the raw file to a collection that is synced to Classic

Well no. If you are sync'ing with Classic, then all of Lightroom CC is sync'd to classic for items you ingest in Lightroom CC. At least as best I can tell. It is only the reverse that is selective (images added to Classic are only sync'd, and then only smart previews, if added to a Mobile collection).

3. I decide I want to add one of the new selective mask edits
4. I open Classic and that file is synced to the collection from CC.
5. Classic now downloads the raw file to my computer although it is already there from step 1? Or does it just download the smart preview for editing?

When you added it to LR CC, it is immediately sync'd to CLassic (if online and available). How long that takes is about internet speed but you should not have to do anything to make it happen (unless you had paused sync).

6. This edit is synced back to the photo in CC even though I can’t make changes to this specific mask because its not available there or will CC not even render it at all
I can't answer that, as I do not really understand what happens to incompatible editing features. I do not think they are lost, but I do not know how they appear in CC.

This is the fairly straightforward part (except the last); where it gets twisted is by mixing and matching things, for example migrating a Classic catalog is different from what you describe, as all of it goes up at once (yet retains its folder structure). Editing originals (e.g. in photoshop). Moving/removing originals. There are also limitations, like file size, in classic that are not in Lightroom CC.

So let me see if I understand this mess.
  1. I take a raw file and add it to lightroom CC while choosing to keep a local copy
  2. The raw is backed up to adobe’s servers
  3. In CC I add the raw file to a collection that is synced to Classic
  4. I decide I want to add one of the new selective mask edits.
  5. I open Classic and that file is synced to the collection from CC.
  6. Classic now downloads the raw file to my computer although it is already there from step 1? Or does it just download the smart preview for editing?
  7. This edit is synced back to the photo in CC even though I can’t make changes to this specific mask because its not available there or will CC not even render it at all
6: Yes, if you keep a local copy in Lightroom CC, then you will have two copies if you add the image to a collection that is synched with Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic will not know about that copy.
7: Range Mask will not be visible in Lightroom CC. If you use it with a graduated filter, you will see the filter but not the range mask fine tuning of the filter.

7: Range Mask will not be visible in Lightroom CC. If you use it with a graduated filter, you will see the filter but not the range mask fine tuning of the filter.

Sorry, I have to correct that statement. Apparently it took a bit longer to sync. The Range Mask will be visible in Lightroom CC too.

6: Yes, if you keep a local copy in Lightroom CC, then you will have two copies if you add the image to a collection that is synched with Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic will not know about that copy.

Thanks very much for the clarification. Its all starting to make sense. I think the workflow is manageable besides the duplicate downloads. Just want to be clear that Classic will download the full raw file and not just the smart preview? Would it affect anything if I just periodically delete these or does classic need the original to work

Just want to be clear that Classic will download the full raw file and not just the smart preview? Would it affect anything if I just periodically delete these or does classic need the original to work

Classic will download the original. If you delete the original in Classic, then I assume that Classic will send that delete message to the cloud as well, and so the image will be lost completely, but I haven't tried.

Classic will download the original. If you delete the original in Classic, then I assume that Classic will send that delete message to the cloud as well, and so the image will be lost completely, but I haven't tried.

Hmm okay, looks like to really use CC you have to leave classic behind unless you want to deal with a bunch of wasted HD space and bandwidth re-downloading images you already have. Its a shame the didn’t just release this when all of the functionality from Classic was in CC, has created much more problems than necessary.

Guess I will continue to use my current workflow, doesn’t seem like paying extra for this is worthwhile at the moment.

Great idea in theory, poorly implemented, poorly rolled out

Once again, thanks for your help

Hmm okay, looks like to really use CC you have to leave classic behind unless you want to deal with a bunch of wasted HD space and bandwidth re-downloading images you already have.

Not necessarily. If you do not make a local copy in Lightroom CC, you will only have one copy on your hard disk (the one downloaded by Classic).

Not necessarily. If you do not make a local copy in Lightroom CC, you will only have one copy on your hard disk (the one downloaded by Classic).

True but them I am uploading all files to the cloud from my computer and downloading them again at the same time. This is stupid and pointless especially with the file size of modern cameras

True but them I am uploading all files to the cloud from my computer and downloading them again at the same time. This is stupid and pointless especially with the file size of modern cameras

That is indeed unavoidable if you want to try a combined workflow. To me that would be the irrelevant part, because I have a 400 Mb connection with unlimited data, but not everybody is that lucky.

It would probably help if you could explain a bit more about what you are trying to achieve? In your first post you mentioned that you "did the conversion process", what was that exactly.

Trying to use a combined Classic + LRCC workflow is probably not initially optimal, though can potentially be achieved once the understanding of how things work is in place. In the short term, using LRCC as simply another end-point of the cloud ecosystem (such as LRmobile or LRWeb) would probably be a better idea. But get back to us with your objectives and we can maybe help you figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back