• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again. Just some small tweaks as well as cameras/lenses and bugs! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Hard drives spontaneously changed their names?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic Version 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello, all. I recently completed a long delayed clean-up project to re-arrange some files and folders. I tried to take care not to break links or locations which would cause a problem in Lightroom, and when I finished yesterday, I did not see any issues indicated (with the [?] sign) in LR. I should add that I typically have three hard drives open in LR when I edit, but I'm mostly using one drive [ (H) ] for the actual editing and a separate drive [ (G) ] for the catalog backup. When I opened up LR today, I noted that drive [H] had been renamed File Explorer Options [H], and that Drives G, I and F were all renamed, with the letters scrambled among them. As a result, all of the drives except for H are not linked properly to LR, clearly because the destination names/letters have been changed. I did not make any of these name/letter changes. I've changed drive names before, so I can go through that process to rename the drives back to where they were named, but my question is whether there are pitfalls around making a name change now (I've only changed names on new, theretofore unused drives) and why these spontaneous changes would have occurred in the first place. I am VERY relieved that the H drive is functioning fine since it is the most active drive I'm using currently and I'm a little hesitant to make any change to that drive name since the "File Explorer Options" which miraculously appeared doesn't seem to have affected the files or organization of the drive. Thanks for any insights/guidance here.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hello, all. I recently completed a long delayed clean-up project to re-arrange some files and folders. I tried to take care not to break links or locations which would cause a problem in Lightroom, and when I finished yesterday, I did not see any issues indicated (with the [?] sign) in LR. I should add that I typically have three hard drives open in LR when I edit, but I'm mostly using one drive [ (H) ] for the actual editing and a separate drive [ (G) ] for the catalog backup. When I opened up LR today, I noted that drive [H] had been renamed File Explorer Options [H], and that Drives G, I and F were all renamed, with the letters scrambled among them. As a result, all of the drives except for H are not linked properly to LR, clearly because the destination names/letters have been changed. I did not make any of these name/letter changes. I've changed drive names before, so I can go through that process to rename the drives back to where they were named, but my question is whether there are pitfalls around making a name change now (I've only changed names on new, theretofore unused drives) and why these spontaneous changes would have occurred in the first place. I am VERY relieved that the H drive is functioning fine since it is the most active drive I'm using currently and I'm a little hesitant to make any change to that drive name since the "File Explorer Options" which miraculously appeared doesn't seem to have affected the files or organization of the drive. Thanks for any insights/guidance here.

This is a Windows issue. Drive letters are assigned arbitrarily as they are found by the operating system with C: being the Root Disk drive and A: & B: reserved for removable drives. Move things around and the disk are found in a different order

This Should help get you right:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-a-drive-letter-on-windows/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk