• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Hard Drive Issues

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic Version 11.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello, all. I have had a sudden hard drive issue for which I could use some advice. Background: I utilize three external hard drives to store photographs: #1: a 4.5 TB currently with 1.7TB available , #2: a dual drive with 2.65TB free and #3 : a 4.5TB with 3.91TB free. I utilize #1 for photo editing, I I utilize #2 and #3 for raw/new photo storage and I utlize #2 for backup catalog storage; I typically back-up the catalog after every significant editing session on #1. I've had no problems with any of these drives until the past two weeks, when #1 started to act strangely -- slow and unreactive. I was very surprised at how quickly this change in performance occurred. I've had to crash sessions in the last couple of days just to exit. I'm assuming the #1 drive is failing or failed after only about 50% usage. So -- I'll get a replacement hard drive for #1 but I'd like to ask for some coaching as to how I migrate my information (photos and catalogs) onto the new drive, and/or if anyone could propose a change in my workflow if that's seemed needed. thanks --

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've also seen bad cables manifest as if it were a bad drive. If you have a spare cable laying around you may want to swap it in and see if that has any effect. While you're at it, make sure both ends of your existing cable are firmley plugged in.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Thanks for both of these responses. Re: the cable suggestion: I've thought of the same cause but on a first check, a bad cable didn't seem to be the issue. I'll give that another look, however.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic

DCBolton

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
You indicated that drive #1 was failing after only 50% "usage". I assume that means TB used. More importantly, how old is the drive and what % of warranty period? I track all my drives by both age from manufacture date and time in service. Both are important. Most will last the warranty period or beyond but I find it's best to replace them soon after warranty expires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Thanks for your reply. I should have been more precise: That drive has about 50% of its capacity remaining. Good point re: age -- I admit that I don't have a specific age listed, but would estimate 3-4 years old. I agree that I should do a better job of tracking age and warranty date.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
I neglected to add to my most recent post that OF COURSE the drive has acted fine over the last 24 hours. Something went significantly wrong with the drive -- human error (mine) is certainly a possibility but I haven't a clue what I could have done. I expect to replace this drive following the guidance the Queen herself provided a few days ago.