Hard drive full problem with LR connectivity with EXHD moving pictures from iMac HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
Hi using LR6 on iMac. Hard drive full so followed LR Queens instruction to move pictures from Mac hard drive to 2TB external my HD already in use in LR I have a folder with 936 photos called LR test photos and have been importing into this ok from camera card. Found my “ Masters” folder within pictures dragged and dropped to copy into my EXHD into “LR test photos” took 2 hrs ... renamed source Mac folder MastersC. Checked and all photos now in correct destination.

Opened LR can see “Masters” as subfolder of parent folder” right clicked on it Masters “ update folder location “ found file highlighted ... did not choose new folder hit choose.

The subfolder Masters still has 936 photos no additions. Have subsequently been back to “ update folder location” to try and get LR to recognise some of the subfolders for the individual years 2010-2018 but the still show up with the 936. I am sure there’s a simple answer but just can’t see it L

I’m not sure I understand your problem. Update folder location just tells Lightroom the new location of an existing folder. It does not add any images.

Hi thank you for replying. My problem is that I can see my EXHD and the file that I moved from my iMac into LR but I am unable to import or view any photos from it although it is showing 936 In its description
When I run get info it show 22,132 items (156.42GB) hope this helps.... sorry my description of the problem is not very good L

Hi Johan small correction I can view the original 936 images that were in the parent folder (LR test phots) (name of file) but the new folder (Masters) shows 936 but only the original images and non of the photos that are in the original file from my iMac hard drive some 22000. Thanks again L

Hi Johan hope this helps many thanks L

Attachments

• 9A161276-0C2C-4F22-8732-10B1A46C3B6A.jpeg
    9A161276-0C2C-4F22-8732-10B1A46C3B6A.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 224
Seems that you messed up the copy process somehow. Lightroom believes that the 2013 folder contains the 2010, 2012 and 2017 folders, but in reality that is not true. It also believes there are no less than four 2018 folders, but the Finder shows ‘only’ three. Lightroom probably believes that most of your photos are still on the not-mounted ‘MyPassport for Mac’ disk, but I can’t see that. And Lightroom thinks that the Masters folder only contains 936 images, but in reality it contains 22,132 items...

So first question: did you rearrange folders when you copied them? Second question: do you have a backup of your catalog? It may be better to start this again rather than to try to sort this mess.

Hi Lawrence, welcome to the forum!

I think I can see what's happened. They've just got a bit tangled as you've updated the folder location on individual subfolders instead of the main Masters folder. Can you grab us a screenshot of the whole Folders panel so we can see where the records for the rest of the photos are currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back